BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Does anybody have a favorite incubator? I don't want to jump into an $800 machine, but I want something dependable that holds a stable temperature. All the reviews I've read about Hovabators and similar, styrofoam models seem to work great for some people and fluctuate wildly for others. I'd like to buy something under $130 and preferably a lot under that. Ideas?
I have 2 Incuveiws from Incubator Warehouse and they've worked very well. They don't hold a lot of eggs, though. I use a styrofoam one for hatching.

I have a HUGE (about 5 truck loads) pile of wood chips rotting away in my chicken yard. I like to let it break down a bit and get manured by the chickens before use it. I toss all their scraps on the pile to encourage them to spend time there scratching. I just spread it as I need it.

But the interesting thing I am observing is, that after a week of sunny weather, a small but steady stream of water is still flowing out from under the pile. It has absorbed and is slowly releasing great amount of water. Good stuff.

No fuss chicken manure tea!

Oh goodness, did you think we were picking meat off of the feet? Can't speak for anyone else, but I just throw them into the pot for stock/soup (because of all the collagen), and then fish them out and toss them (as spent) once stock is done. I don't pick the meat off of them or anything....

(Or did I misunderstand you?)

- Ant Farm
No, no, no, LOL. I was speaking very broadly, but I have known people who chewed at the cooked feet... god knows what for. I think it's fun to know all the possible uses of all an animal's parts, but I don't feel obligated to use them. Between composting and feeding odd bits back to omnivorous animals on the farm I don't feel like I'm waisting much. But the current "nose to tail" eating movement went too far when I saw a cooking show with a top chef serving a pig's anus on a plate
th.gif
. It looked like a puckered up little donut with a garnish and puddle of sauce. The people eating it commented on the barnyardy flavor. And it wasn't even an Andrew Zimmer show! These people were serious foodies! Yuck! So until civilization collapses and I'm starving to death I'm content to let wings, gizzards, livers and hearts be the oddest bits of a bird I eat. But in fairness I've had chicken foot stock and it was delicious.... but it did take 5 pounds of chicken feet from the grocery store.

Last edited:
No, no, no, LOL. I was speaking very broadly, but I have known people who chewed at the cooked feet... god knows what for. I think it's fun to know all the possible uses of all an animal's parts, but I don't feel obligated to use them. Between composting and feeding odd bits back to omnivorous animals on the farm I don't feel like I'm waisting much. But the current "nose to tail" eating movement went too far when I saw a cooking show with a top chef serving a pig's anus on a plate
th.gif
. It looked like a puckered up little donut with a garnish and puddle of sauce. The people eating it commented on the barnyardy flavor. And it wasn't even an Andrew Zimmer show! These people were serious foodies! Yuck! So until civilization collapses and I'm starving to death I'm content to let wings, gizzards, livers and hearts be the oddest bits of a bird I eat. But in fairness I've had chicken foot stock and it was delicious.... but it did take 5 pounds of chicken feet from the grocery store.

I bite off the little piece of of meat from the ball of the foot. Not much there but If you have a lot of feet they make excellent appetizers, so to speak. Quite tasty. There are recipes (Chinese) where whole chicken and duck feet are prepared and eaten...toes and essentially the whole bottom of the fopot...including toes.

th.gif
This gives funyun chips a whole new name!

th.gif

I will never be THAT hungry to eat a pig's pucker.
sickbyc.gif

So here's what's for dinner tomorrow night. You may all remember I'm working toward butchering my first, home grown capon for next Thanksgiving. I'll be getting White and Silver Gray Dorkings in the spring to be ready for a big party we go to every Thanksgiving. This brand of Minowa Capon shows up at my local Kroger every year at a dirt cheap price of about $2.50 per pound. This bird is about 7.5 pounds and cost $19. Trying it is part of my research to learn everything capony. I've looked up Minowa online and all I can find is that it is packed for Schlitz Foods in South Dakota. My guess is that it's a total fake and is just an overgrown broiler (Cornish Cross). I doubt that it was even surgically altered but that's all just guess work. I'd love to know if anyone knows any more about Minowa Capons, their breed, their production method, anything. I'd even like to know if you've tasted one or heard rumor. And please don't flame me for buying a commercial chicken. It's all in the name of research.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom