BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

It's going to be in the 30's this weekend, ( oC, that's in the 90's-100 oF ). I think I will put out a shallow tray of water for the chickens to walk through, maybe that will help them. Maybe I should breed for big pea combs not little ones..........

Some of my Buff Plymouth Rocks
4 weeks and averaging 315g (a bit puny compared to my meatballs)
Not sure what they going to bring to my meat project, but I like buff birds.
I'm hoping they have a strong statue, but we will see.

Some of my Buff Plymouth Rocks
4 weeks and averaging 315g (a bit puny compared to my meatballs)
Not sure what they going to bring to my meat project, but I like buff birds.
I'm hoping they have a strong statue, but we will see.

Welcome to the thread! Those are some very cute and very sturdy looking chicks! I've never had the pleasure of seeing a Buff Rock before. I'm anxious to see how they grow and develop.

I love my tactical wear...but not in this heat. And I'm a little terrified by what kind of dogs and cats you must have around your chickens.
ep.gif
I work...
gig.gif
...Animal Control

It's going to be in the 30's this weekend, ( oC, that's in the 90's-100 oF ). I think I will put out a shallow tray of water for the chickens to walk through, maybe that will help them. Maybe I should breed for big pea combs not little ones..........
Yeah, us southern types are looking at 49 C this weekend. Just installed a mister system in the chicken run this morning, seems to lower the temp by 15-20 F.

We turned on the water misters today at 85*F but that was totally uncalled for. By 6 PM, the temps dropped and the worst thunderstorms came down for about 2 hours...worse than I've seen for a while. Fortunately the generator kicked in to keep all the freezers etc running. Power doesn't go off around here very often but when it does, it could be days before it's restored.

We had a Derecho bust through here about this time three years ago that had power off in 4 states and ours was off 8 days. Fortunately dad generally took precautions and had the big natural gas generator installed the year before...what a life saver, literally because it was extremely hot (near 100*F) had that would have killed many or most of our chicks.

J.

A few years ago set up a kiddy pool with bricks in the shade. Chickens would sit on the bricks to stay cool. Could use two by fours on the bricks to give more room for roosting above the water to accommodate more birds. In the wild, birds congregate on limbs above the water under shade trees. This mimics that.

A few years ago set up a kiddy pool with bricks in the shade. Chickens would sit on the bricks to stay cool. Could use two by fours on the bricks to give more room for roosting above the water to accommodate more birds. In the wild, birds congregate on limbs above the water under shade trees. This mimics that.

Good idea! I will steal it so that the bottom isn't slippery.

Back
Top Bottom