BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

droolin.gif

As promised, here's that super-fatty bird I butchered a week ago. I wound up brining him for nearly a full week, then stuffed him with Vidalia onions and apples, dry rubbed him and finally slow-roasted him in white wine for five hours. There wasn't a tough piece of meat on him, but it was all deliciously flavorful.

In the "before roasting" photo you can see part of his fat roll at the cavity opening:

And after:
You know, what's interesting is that I have only found a "fat roll" like that on my Naked Necks - not on any of the fully feathered ones I've processed... (At least for my birds...)

- Ant Farm

As promised, here's that super-fatty bird I butchered a week ago. I wound up brining him for nearly a full week, then stuffed him with Vidalia onions and apples, dry rubbed him and finally slow-roasted him in white wine for five hours. There wasn't a tough piece of meat on him, but it was all deliciously flavorful.

In the "before roasting" photo you can see part of his fat roll at the cavity opening:

And after:
We've had very good luck roasting aged birds that way. Even 2 to 4 year old fowl turn out fine and the older birds exude the old time flavor that can't be faked in the 7 to 10 week old birds from chain markets. I've tried them and they remind me of Tofu C
hicken....Blaaaaah!!!

Turk tells me he's going to start posting on BYC and that he will be far more 'chill' than before and will not be dragged into wee-wee contests like before. That will let other followers see what a really nice guy he is.
highfive.gif

J.

Last edited:
Hi,
Jumping in here a sec. The last several months I have been researching the best way to grow poultry without antibiotics. esp. when it comes to gut health. In so many ways, gut health is where "the rubber meets the road" when it comes to a bird's vitality. Some very exciting things happening out there in the commercial and research fields. One product I have been watching closely is the addition of microencapsulated butyric acid. This supplement is showing a quite measurable positive ability to enhance the health of the gut. Today I was reading one of my online poultry mags and came across this product. Here is an excellent 46 page PDF on the function of the poultry gut and how this supplement helps. I am only part way thru it and just real pleased with it's educational and illustrated content. the cut-away of the gut is very well done and educational. As are the sections of how a healthy gut should look and function. I think this PDF will take time to absorb, I know I won't be reading it all in one day, smile. Even if it turns out this supplement isn't for you, the educational content in this article is way worth reading.
Go to:
http://www.innovad-global.be/products/gut-integrity-intestinal-health/novyrate/
Then scroll down the page until you see the hot link:
http://www.novyrate-gut-intengrity.com Click on it to see the 46 page article.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
We've had very good luck roasting aged birds that way.  Even 2 to 4 year old fowl turn out fine and the older birds exude the old time flavor that can't be faked in the 7 to 10 week old birds from chain markets.  I've tried them and they remind me of Tofu C
hicken....Blaaaaah!!!

Turk tells me he's going to start posting on BYC and that he will be far more 'chill' than before and will not be dragged into wee-wee contests like before.  That will let other followers see what a really nice guy he is.:highfive:

J.

Looking forward to seeing Turk back on BYC. Miss his posts.

We've had very good luck roasting aged birds that way. Even 2 to 4 year old fowl turn out fine and the older birds exude the old time flavor that can't be faked in the 7 to 10 week old birds from chain markets. I've tried them and they remind me of Tofu C
hicken....Blaaaaah!!!

Turk tells me he's going to start posting on BYC and that he will be far more 'chill' than before and will not be dragged into wee-wee contests like before. That will let other followers see what a really nice guy he is.
highfive.gif

J.

I don't think I ever got to "meet" Turk. It'll be fun having him around.

And I totally agree....grocery store chicken definitely tastes like tofu, which tastes like nothing.
sickbyc.gif

How are they in hot weather?
I've heard Langshans do better than Brahmas in hot climates.

I've gotten mixed reviews, with a few people saying they do well in hot climates and others not so much. One breeder I recently corresponded with emphasized that it's the combination of heat + humidity that gives them problems, so they may be okay here. I might try hatching out a half dozen eggs just to see how they do. They can't be much worse than my Bielefelders, which are slowly acclimating to this insane heatwave we're having. Four people died in Tucson yesterday from the heat, but somehow I managed not to lose any more chickens, and I didn't even have to resort to using the air conditioning.
roll.png

You know, what's interesting is that I have only found a "fat roll" like that on my Naked Necks - not on any of the fully feathered ones I've processed... (At least for my birds...)

- Ant Farm

None of my NNs have had that kind of fat...only my Bielefelders and this guy. Notice how narrow his frame was? My hand is fairly thin and very flexible and I could barely reach into this dude! I sure hope his offspring develop a wider frame.

None of my NNs have had that kind of fat...only my Bielefelders and this guy. Notice how narrow his frame was? My hand is fairly thin and very flexible and I could barely reach into this dude! I sure hope his offspring develop a wider frame.
Dorkings and dorking crosses will get fat on them.

Back
Top Bottom