BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Those naked chicken's Shor do look like dinosaurs can they salve problems and open door's
On another note I have a bunch of cooper's hawk flegling's hanging around got a holed of one brahma rooster and a maran's hen they will live as the hawk was to young to know how to kill yet but that aside has anyone here dabbled in falconry I always wanted to get into it but never have and will having a bird of pray around keep others away from the property

Ok guys, weird question. I buy chicken leg quarters for my cats, the part that has some spine and ribs also typically has some dark red, brain textured, squishy and easily broken up meat stuff crammed up against it.... what am I looking at?
I think those are kidneys. Lungs would be higher up in the bird, closer to the head, and testicles are pale and bean shaped and made of tougher stuff. I don't worry too much about scraping the inside of the chicken completely clean- as long as I get the intestines and gall bladder out intact, and cut out all the oil gland, I'm good with that.

I expect to see a few like this hanging around the warf dives in the lesser desired saloons around Porto Alegre.

Hell, I've seen worse hanging around the outside of (I'd never go in) Purrswaytion Club in one of the seediest parts of down-town Louisville.

Regardless, it does give that Naked the look of a 'Working Bird'.
cool.png
lol.png

When I saw those chaps I thought that some thigh- high (hock high?) leather boots would compete the picture
wink.png
but I guess even naked naked chickens don't need boots.
Those pink chaps look great on that chicken!

You guys were more impressed by the "pink chaps" pants the Rudy was.
lau.gif
Of all the pants I've made those fit the best and stayed on the best. Some outfits really need the pants, others like the sweater cover enough of the legs not to need them.

This bird's color pattern is a sort of White Laced Red. Like the Cornish White Lace Red patterning.

It is white laced red. The differences in how much red/white rests on how much black the bird has. It is because the white lacing is due to dominant white, it 'works' great on black pigments but not so much on red/gold pigments. In other words if you want to see what a WLR looks like, just look at a dark cornish.. exact same patterning, minus the dominant white to affect the black coloring.

The CX are black chickens, most also have barring. So that's the source of barring and extra black coloring "translated to white" in many of the crosses..

When one breeds almost any color chicken to a black chicken(again what cx are) a normal result are black chicks with variable amounts of color leakage showing up as they feather up. That is what happens with the white cockerels with red patches on wings, hens with maybe some buff or off white coloring usually on the breast.

It's the various genes hidden in the whites that can have effect on the lacing in later generations- can cause too much black(translates to mostly white with dominant white) or very little black(mostly colored even with dw present)/ The hidden genes in cx is likely the reason for producing this pattern:

Quote:
Single lacing requires being pure for a trio of genes(Pg+Ml+Co), if you mess that up 'in the slightest' you can see what looks like double pencilling, spangling, partial lacing, double lacing and so on. Usually if they show up in a cross, they won't end up breeding true for this reason. Kinda like a faux jubilee/double lace (btw she is pretty)

As for red shoulder yokohamas, totally different genetics. Been a very long while since I read anything on them so, from memory: they are a red duckwing with spangling(same as on spangled hamburgs), something-something that makes their hackles all black(cornish have this too- maybe it is hackle black..?) and almost the main part of their white is being a blue splash.. but they might be supposed to *also* have dominant white... I do know if you cross RSY with colored or black chickens, you either immediately get blues in the first generation if the birds either are not pure or lack dominant white.. if they are pure for dominant white, blue becomes more obvious in the second generation.

It is splash plus dominant white turning their necks, tails and the black spangles to white... the deep red is probably the same genes that make the deep red especially on show bred RIR.... dark cornish share some of the same genes, so they can give a dark red/white color combination but it is only superficial at best... also most darks and wlrs are on either wheaten or partridge(eb). No blue present in wlr... but would not be suprised if it exists in some white cornish or cx as blue is also a good gene for helping with crisper white on all white birds.

Last edited:
It is white laced red. The differences in how much red/white rests on how much black the bird has.  It is because the white lacing is due to dominant white, it 'works' great on black pigments but not so much on red/gold pigments.  In other words if you want to see what a WLR looks like, just look at a dark cornish.. exact same patterning, minus the dominant white to affect the black coloring.

Is there a good online primer for learning genetics you or anyone else can recommend?

I'm decent at genetics once I understand the basic genes and while I have rabbits down, I'd love to learn chickens.

It is white laced red. The differences in how much red/white rests on how much black the bird has. It is because the white lacing is due to dominant white, it 'works' great on black pigments but not so much on red/gold pigments. In other words if you want to see what a WLR looks like, just look at a dark cornish.. exact same patterning, minus the dominant white to affect the black coloring.

The CX are black chickens, most also have barring. So that's the source of barring and extra black coloring "translated to white" in many of the crosses..

When one breeds almost any color chicken to a black chicken(again what cx are) a normal result are black chicks with variable amounts of color leakage showing up as they feather up. That is what happens with the white cockerels with red patches on wings, hens with maybe some buff or off white coloring usually on the breast.

It's the various genes hidden in the whites that can have effect on the lacing in later generations- can cause too much black(translates to mostly white with dominant white) or very little black(mostly colored even with dw present)/ The hidden genes in cx is likely the reason for producing this pattern:

Single lacing requires being pure for a trio of genes(Pg+Ml+Co), if you mess that up 'in the slightest' you can see what looks like double pencilling, spangling, partial lacing, double lacing and so on. Usually if they show up in a cross, they won't end up breeding true for this reason. Kinda like a faux jubilee/double lace (btw she is pretty)

As for red shoulder yokohamas, totally different genetics. Been a very long while since I read anything on them so, from memory: they are a red duckwing with spangling(same as on spangled hamburgs), something-something that makes their hackles all black(cornish have this too- maybe it is hackle black..?) and almost the main part of their white is being a blue splash.. but they might be supposed to *also* have dominant white... I do know if you cross RSY with colored or black chickens, you either immediately get blues in the first generation if the birds either are not pure or lack dominant white.. if they are pure for dominant white, blue becomes more obvious in the second generation.

It is splash plus dominant white turning their necks, tails and the black spangles to white... the deep red is probably the same genes that make the deep red especially on show bred RIR.... dark cornish share some of the same genes, so they can give a dark red/white color combination but it is only superficial at best... also most darks and wlrs are on either wheaten or partridge(eb). No blue present in wlr... but would not be suprised if it exists in some white cornish or cx as blue is also a good gene for helping with crisper white on all white birds.
I have some nice 3/4 Dark Cornish (1/4CX) pullets - white without the splash. Note the leg color on some is not yellow/white.
grey legs

Pink/White legs

Yellow legs

I have some nice 3/4 Dark Cornish (1/4CX) pullets - white without the splash. Note the leg color on some is not yellow/white.
grey legs

She is probably solid black or nearly so and probably does not have barring.

The gene that makes chickens "black" (both E and ER) also like to as a side effect, put a layer of black pigment on the legs- almost any black chicken- australorps, sumatras etc are examples of this.

I unfortunately don't know why legs like hers don't quite get black, could be a side effect of some thing else- could be dominant white erasing some of the black pigments on the legs too...

The reason I say probably no barring in this bird is because barring very clearly affects leg pigments too. Barred rocks are actually simply solid black chickens with the barring gene 'added' over them. The reason their legs are not black is entirely due to the barring gene diluting the black pigment out of their legs.. it is also why one might have noticed it is common for hens to have a light dusting of black on their legs but the roosters have very clear legs... it is because due to the sex linked nature of the barring gene, hens can only have one barring gene at most, while roosters can either have one or two. Two doses of barring is what makes the barred roosters lighter than the hens and is also why the rooster legs are usually so clear yellow.

Cornish have another gene called Id- Inhibitor of Dermal melanin. What it does on otherwise colored bird like, well, a dark cornish and does not have the barring gene either, is prevent pigment being deposited in the dermis layer on the legs.... as a result their body skin shows clearly through on the legs- Id plus yellow skin= yellow legs. Id plus white skin= white legs.

side note.. birds lacking Id(and again not barred) have either green or blue legs. No id plus yellow skin= green legs, no Id plus white skin= blue legs.

I'd say that hen is possibly rather unusual in probably lacking both barring and Id... not totally sure, my best guess right now. If she were mine, I'd have bred her to a blue or green legged chicken and see what color legs show up. If in greens or blues, no yellows or whites then it is proof she does not have Id. Probably useless to most people but fascinating in a genetics geek way to me, she;d definitely be a breeder keeper here, ha... Also very likely she is a result of genes either being hidden or missing in the cx stock. All your cornish have Id, so if she is lacking that, it had to come via the cx stock.

Pink/White legs

Yellow legs

Were any black or white legged birds used in their ancestry? I mention black as they can sorta hide their white skin due to their legs being covered up by black pigment.

White skin is dominant over yellow. It's not sex linked either.. as long as one parent of either sex is white skinned, there will be some white skinned offspring. I'm guessing she is white skinned with either or both barring and Id causing her legs to be white..

White skin is pretty easy to get rid of if desired- don't use any white or blue legs for breeding.

However I am open to possibility of something weird/unknown to me lurking in cx stock... all of the cockerels I picked up at the feed store last fall had clear bright yellow legs, however the one pullet had white legs.. can't remember if they turned yellow later or not.

btw nice birds!

Back
Top Bottom