BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

This fall here in Oklahoma has been late on frost...so the garden has been productive and the predators and freeloaders have been frequently visiting looking for easy meals.
This can really hit the bottom line on feed and chickens and you have to be prepared for anything.

So far, we have had a mother coyote bringing her April born pups to check out the creep feeder for the calves and a few visits to the barn yard at night without success. Several have been shot by our coyote hunter.
But last week, we had an all out assault on the Cochin pen. I lost three yearling cockerels and five hens. Roger thinks one went over the chain link fence and somehow pulled open the 2x4 wire fence gate across the front of the coop and another may have loosened the gate to the pen enough for birds to escape thru the opening into the jaws of some happy youngsters. One pullet must have put her head thru the fencing and was pulled thru and half eaten. Another pullet was left behind with a broken neck. We found feathers in three different pastures.
We are setting out snap traps at night and have made improvements on the pen. Right now the remaining 10 Cochin are separated into three different pens with other birds.

In addition, We thought an owl was flying into the 8 x 12 breed pens and taking a young juvenile while sleeping in the coop leaving a 1/2 eaten carcass. Had this happen in two breed pens that aren't covered and were open for birds to seek shelter at night by choice. These were locked up at night too. When it happened in the CW Wyandotte 14 x 16 completely covered hoop pen yesterday morning, I figured it was either a raccoon or possum. So I set up a live trap and caught this one....Now on her way to predator heaven. Will set the live trap again for several nights just in case.

In addition, we have been overrun with rats in the barn and rats and voles around the pens growing fat on pellet feed. It is amazing how much food those critters can carry off. So the 22 rat shot has been my go to arsenal for that even though it is hard to find. Got another one last night so 50 down out of 52 shells. TomCat rat poison in chicken proof containers is bringing down the multitude of mice and remaining rats in the barn and under the coops. My barn cat is 10 years old and gets locked up at night because of the coyotes.

The sparrows and starlings that raid the feeders during the day are now my only other problem...so far not successful with the bird traps. So I limit my feedings to the chickens to only what they can consume in a morning and evening feeding and they free range during the day.

This fall here in Oklahoma has been late on frost...so the garden has been productive and the predators and freeloaders have been frequently visiting looking for easy meals. This can really hit the bottom line on feed and chickens and you have to be prepared for anything. So far, we have had a mother coyote bringing her April born pups to check out the creep feeder for the calves and a few visits to the barn yard at night without success. Several have been shot by our coyote hunter. But last week, we had an all out assault on the Cochin pen. I lost three yearling cockerels and five hens. Roger thinks one went over the chain link fence and somehow pulled open the 2x4 wire fence gate across the front of the coop and another may have loosened the gate to the pen enough for birds to escape thru the opening into the jaws of some happy youngsters. One pullet must have put her head thru the fencing and was pulled thru and half eaten. Another pullet was left behind with a broken neck. We found feathers in three different pastures. We are setting out snap traps at night and have made improvements on the pen. Right now the remaining 10 Cochin are separated into three different pens with other birds. In addition, We thought an owl was flying into the 8 x 12 breed pens and taking a young juvenile while sleeping in the coop leaving a 1/2 eaten carcass. Had this happen in two breed pens that aren't covered and were open for birds to seek shelter at night by choice. These were locked up at night too. When it happened in the CW Wyandotte 14 x 16 completely covered hoop pen yesterday morning, I figured it was either a raccoon or possum. So I set up a live trap and caught this one....Now on her way to predator heaven. Will set the live trap again for several nights just in case. In addition, we have been overrun with rats in the barn and rats and voles around the pens growing fat on pellet feed. It is amazing how much food those critters can carry off. So the 22 rat shot has been my go to arsenal for that even though it is hard to find. Got another one last night so 50 down out of 52 shells. TomCat rat poison in chicken proof containers is bringing down the multitude of mice and remaining rats in the barn and under the coops. My barn cat is 10 years old and gets locked up at night because of the coyotes. The sparrows and starlings that raid the feeders during the day are now my only other problem...so far not successful with the bird traps. So I limit my feedings to the chickens to only what they can consume in a morning and evening feeding and they free range during the day.
I've lost 3 ducks and a few juvenile chickens to a raccoon in the last month. One attack occurred during the day and left the duck injured ( she later died). One of our goats was almost dragged off by a cougar last night. It was sheer luck that my husband went out to check the live trap about midnight, heard the goat hollering, and scared off the cougar. The poor little goat is alive and we're treating the punctures around his head and neck.

This fall here in Oklahoma has been late on frost...so the garden has been productive and the predators and freeloaders have been frequently visiting looking for easy meals. 
So far, we have had a mother coyote bringing her April born pups to check out the creep feeder for the calves and a few visits to the barn yard at night without success.
In addition, We thought an owl... a raccoon or possum.  
In addition, we have been overrun with rats and voles
The sparrows and starlings that raid the feeders during the day are now my only problem.

I've lost 3 ducks and a few juvenile chickens to a raccoon in the last month. One attack occurred during the day and left the duck injured ( she later died).

One of our goats was almost dragged off by a cougar last night. It was sheer luck that my husband went out to check the live trap about midnight, heard the goat hollering, and scared off the cougar. The poor little goat is alive and we're treating the punctures around his head and neck.

Wow! Haven't had a cougar attack yet.
Sure hope your goat improves. Sorry to hear about the ducks and chickens.
Raccoon mark territory and others follow their scent.

The first chick had hatched out this morning but the time I dragged myself out of bed. This little one came from my Dorking-mix hen's egg, and was most definitely fathered by my big boy, Monty, the Ameraucana/White Rock rooster. (That cushion comb is a dead giveaway, and the coloring just confirms it.)

Half of the remaining eggs in the incubator have pipped, and the remaining ones are wiggling and rolling. I'm hopeful that this is going to be a really good hatch!
fl.gif

Hatched on 10/1/2016 42 days of age: Hugo the giant, Mathew the blue skunk, Opal, Edna,
Hatched on 10/07/2016 : Igor the Black.

Pictured below left to right:
Opal, Edna, Hugo(green dot), Mathew

Hatched on 10/01/2016 42 days of age: Hugo the giant. F2 Bob/Pebbles son 50% Dark Cornish 50% CX weighing in at 1.519kg or 3.35 pounds

hatched on 10/01/2016 at 42 days of age: F3 7/8 Dark Cornish/ 1/8CX - Mathew the blue skunk 1.064kg or 2.35 pounds

hatched on 10/01/2016 at 42 days: F3 7/8 Dark Cornish/ 1/8CX Opal 849g or 1.87 pounds

hatched on 10/01/2016 at 42 days of age: F3 7/8 Dark Cornish/ 1/8CX Edna at 777g or 1.71 pounds

hatched 10/07/2016 36 days of age: F2 Bob/Pebbles son 50% Dark Cornish 50% CX - Igor the Black 1.077kg or 2.37 pounds

Hatched on 10/1/2016 42 days of age: Hugo the giant, Mathew the blue skunk, Opal, Edna,
Hatched on 10/07/2016 : Igor the Black.

Pictured below left to right:
Opal, Edna, Hugo(green dot), Mathew

Hatched on 10/01/2016 42 days of age: Hugo the giant. F2 Bob/Pebbles son 50% Dark Cornish 50% CX weighing in at 1.519kg or 3.35 pounds

hatched on 10/01/2016 at 42 days of age: F3 7/8 Dark Cornish/ 1/8CX - Mathew the blue skunk 1.064kg or 2.35 pounds

hatched on 10/01/2016 at 42 days: F3 7/8 Dark Cornish/ 1/8CX Opal 849g or 1.87 pounds

hatched on 10/01/2016 at 42 days of age: F3 7/8 Dark Cornish/ 1/8CX Edna at 777g or 1.71 pounds

hatched 10/07/2016 36 days of age: F2 Bob/Pebbles son 50% Dark Cornish 50% CX - Igor the Black 1.077kg or 2.37 pounds

Impressive as always! Opal is really pretty.

Impressive as always! Opal is really pretty.
It looks like Tubbs and Hugo are the same type/weight at the six week mark. Clara is so close in weight for a pullet, I am going to say she also is showing the double CX breeding.

From Bob/Pebbles a 50%DC X 50%CX on both sides. They are of the 25% showing the CX/CX side of their breeding.

parents 50/50​
Dark Cornish​
Cornish Roaster
Dark Cornish​
DC/DC​
DC/CX
Cornish Roaster​
DC/CX​
CX/CX​

Opal looks great!

@DesertChic best of luck with your hatchlings!!

We just got back from a farm swap, picked up a trio of Cemanis (which was the SO's idea... Inall fairness, they were nice quality for a very good price) and a Pair of Legbars. Trying to snag last minute additions and lock in numbers before we hunker down and build our larger permanent coops for the spring. Super stoked about the finds. I work a double at the feed store tomorrow so I'll more than likely weigh the boys / put bands on the three who look similar (our little silver nonconformist probably won't need one), pictures tooooonight!
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom