BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

FWIW - I will have some data to share soon. The S&G broiler NN boys suddenly started the bad fighting that comes with cockerels who come into their testosterone, so I culled five of the eight yesterday at 17 weeks, leaving the top three choices to hopefully live more peacefully together while I evaluate who will do best in the heat. Resting in the fridge, but I will have post-processing weights soon. Only one had that weird excess abdominal fat pad like @DesertChic described (I see that in the occasional bird I process - still can't link it to activity or other features when alive).

The Tank x GNH cockerels I processed a few weeks ago came out at about 3.5 to 4 pounds post-processing at 20 weeks. Not bad, I'm happy with that as a first step in that project. (Can't remember if I shared that here or not).

IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG IMG_3605.JPG IMG_3606.JPG IMG_3607.JPG IMG_3609.JPG IMG_3608.JPG Chicks came this morning! Here's a few pics of the group. Only 25, no extras, exactly what I ordered.

I got the call from the PO at 7 am. Picked them up before 8. Home and drinking and pecking at food by 8:30. I think they all look good so far.

Sorry the pics are so blurry, they are active! I guess blurry pics are good in this case.

View attachment 1059443 View attachment 1059443 View attachment 1059444 View attachment 1059445 View attachment 1059446 View attachment 1059448 View attachment 1059447 Chicks came this morning! Here's a few pics of the group. Only 25, no extras, exactly what I ordered.

I got the call from the PO at 7 am. Picked them up before 8. Home and drinking and pecking at food by 8:30. I think they all look good so far.

Sorry the pics are so blurry, they are active! I guess blurry pics are good in this case.
:thumbsup Glad they all made it safely!

I hate to throw this thread off track as it is one of the last few good ones. So Mods please delete my post/s if it breaks rules, not the thread.

With that said, what happened to this site? Used to be good discussion about real chickens that produced eggs and meat. Now it seems every thread is about a "roo" who doesn't sit on shoulders or "attacks" a pullet.

I'm grateful BYC has grown, but I don't see the growth as beneficial to the fowl that we and Hellbender loved so much. Many of the knowledgeable people who used to frequent this site seem to be gone. It is nice to see that a few are still around.

Even the warning when heading to the SOP ,Genetics, warning is gone. No longer are people being educated on nomenclature when they post in there.

So Anyway, I am glad to see this thread going, along with Bob's thread. Yet, so much has been lost.

I hate to throw this thread off track as it is one of the last few good ones. So Mods please delete my post/s if it breaks rules, not the thread.

With that said, what happened to this site? Used to be good discussion about real chickens that produced eggs and meat. Now it seems every thread is about a "roo" who doesn't sit on shoulders or "attacks" a pullet.

I'm grateful BYC has grown, but I don't see the growth as beneficial to the fowl that we and Hellbender loved so much. Many of the knowledgeable people who used to frequent this site seem to be gone. It is nice to see that a few are still around.

Even the warning when heading to the SOP ,Genetics, warning is gone. No longer are people being educated on nomenclature when they post in there.

So Anyway, I am glad to see this thread going, along with Bob's thread. Yet, so much has been lost.
I agree with this. I've trimmed my site participation down to pretty much just a few places with thick-skinned people that know real poultry. I'm here to learn, not to discuss the best way to paint a chicken's toenails.

Update on my Partridge Chanteclers....

I think I have three cockerels and three pullets. The green banded cockerel is looking to be my main breeder. Other birds are better in colour and comb, but he has a beautiful size and body structure. He's healthy, active, and well-mannered. I'm planning on pairing him with the clear band pullet which I think will compliment him nicely. She has the structure to be a good, productive egg layer.

It's the pet chicken keepers that have the most free time and want to talk about all their pet chicken problems. Those of us who are serious about chicken raising are busy actually raising our birds instead of being online to discuss how cute our chickens are. Some of the *old* APA officials and such, now tend to be online on other sites that have a larger concentration of serious poultry folks.

Back
Top Bottom