BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

I currently have 12 barnyard mix duck eggs and 3 mix turkey eggs in the bator.... this is my first time incubating ducks so I am hoping all goes well. I have managed to hatch both turkeys and chicks even as recently as jan 21st! The ducks are from egg lines, magpies, khaki and runner hens in with one magpie and one khaki drake..... I am unsure what that will look like but hope for good layers. I am looking forward to eating the extra drakes

Well since I got no roosters... goal is pretty much add some new breeds to flock of two birds for eggs mostly... if I could breed well I would breed up in size for sure and try to increase egg size. But just watching everyone’s projects for the day when I can mad science it... :caf Would love to add Giants, NN & Cornish to the flock in the future oh and Shamos and Saipan. But we will see what I find find... Watch I’ll end up with bantams instead...

Well since I got no roosters... goal is pretty much add some new breeds to flock of two birds for eggs mostly... if I could breed well I would breed up in size for sure and try to increase egg size. But just watching everyone’s projects for the day when I can mad science it... :caf Would love to add Giants, NN & Cornish to the flock in the future oh and Shamos and Saipan. But we will see what I find find... Watch I’ll end up with bantams instead...

Well if you were looking for a roo people are always trying to give some away. You might want to check out the Buy, Sell, or Trade section here, or ask in your California states thread.

I am not allowed roosters or rather they can’t crow and be a nuisance, sad unhappy face... sigh... or a bunch of bachelor boys running wild in the park would be here already. Same breed as my hens even... plus some lovely other boys. I would also be incubating away... but no one likes roosters unless they are in the park... I honestly don’t understand government logic or people who move to a town with wild roosters and then hate on people having roosters or wanting to give them homes... illogical.

My goals this year are to primarily keep doing what I've been doing, because I'm getting really good production results. I've managed to breed some large, hardy NNs that have also proven to be outstanding layers. At this point I've got a lot of good stock to work with, so I just want to accentuate the best of their genetics and cull for the poor.

I've hatched out small flocks of Lavender Australorps and Swedish Flower Hens and also secured some Aloha chicks from the creator of the breed just north of me in Phoenix. They add more eye candy to my flocks and can help me add more color variations to my NNs. I'd still like to get some Buff Brahmas, which I would eventually cross with my NNs. I've just always coveted the breed but have held off getting them out of fear that subjecting them to the summer AZ heat would amount to cruelty.

My Silver Grey Dorkings are finally mature enough for me to discern the breeders from the culls, so I'm now working more intensively on improving their genetics as well. It looks like I'll be getting my first taste of pure Dorking meat this year.

Beyond that....I have a lot of culling to do. I've got too many birds and now that I know what I really want it's time to get rid of those who don't fit into the breeding programs, whether by selling them off or sending them to freezer camp. My feed budget could use a break.

I am not allowed roosters or rather they can’t crow and be a nuisance, sad unhappy face... sigh... or a bunch of bachelor boys running wild in the park would be here already. Same breed as my hens even... plus some lovely other boys. I would also be incubating away... but no one likes roosters unless they are in the park... I honestly don’t understand government logic or people who move to a town with wild roosters and then hate on people having roosters or wanting to give them homes... illogical.

Yes, that is silly. Like rooster's won't crow, if they live in the park?

My #1 plan for 2018 is more breeding pens and a bachelor pen for cockerels. On the actual breeding front I'm working primarily with American Buff geese and Silver Appleyard ducks. With chickens my main projects are Speckled Sussex and a couple of EE color projects.

Should my Sussex ever start laying in earnest (they promptly started laying as soon as I had the incubator running a few days and now that it's empty they've stopped :he ) I'll be hatching heavily. They're being covered by a English Orpington cock so I should have a vast improvement in size with these chicks. If the darned hens ever start laying.

I have an order in with Cackle for Buff Brahma cockerels, Gold Sexlinks, NNs, and some more Speckled Sussex for an additional breeding pen. The plan was a) Lemon Pyle Brahma project and b) Buff Brahma x NN cross. I'm not sure if I should ditch the projects or go forward with them. :confused:

Hoping this is the year I can work on getting the tail angle on my New Hampshire pullets lower.

Also adding another egg laying flock as egg demand is going up. More leghorns, some sexlinks, and then maybe some hamburgs if I can find the right birds.

Would like to start a sop project with White Wyandottes, but can't find any good starter birds. And Urch is not hatching this year because of health issues.

Back
Top Bottom