Breeding for the right color!

sumatrass

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
Quail Valley, California
Hello i dont know much about breeding chickens to enhance their DNA, but i thought i start a thread since I cant find any info on this matter. What is the process of breeding for the right color and other features? any help and pictures of your science projects would be awesome!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Hello i dont know much about breeding chickens to enhance their DNA, but i thought i start a threat since I cant find any info on this matter. What is the process of breeding for the right color and other features? any help and pictures of your science projects would be awesome!
Knowing how to breed for certain colors in chickens is a complex science and requires both a knowledge of the genetics of chicken colors and trial and error through the process of breeding for the desired colors. I can't help you with the trial and error part (that you will have to do on your own), but there is an article on the genetics of chicken colors at http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm which may be of some help. Good luck in your experimentation in breeding specific colors in chickens.

Thank you I will definitely take a look. Im trying to develop the darkest Black thai I can, I will be getting a black pullet soon, and next year a black stag, I plan on starting with those 2 and later on when they have offspring maybe purchase another one with different qualities to mix in their blood line, I like black/green feet and black beak. My goal is something like a sumatra all black with a beetle shine to it, Its ambitious but i will give it a try!

Thank you I will definitely take a look. Im trying to develop the darkest Black thai I can, I will be getting a black pullet soon, and next year a black stag, I plan on starting with those 2 and later on when they have offspring maybe purchase another one with different qualities to mix in their blood line, I like black/green feet and black beak. My goal is something like a sumatra all black with a beetle shine to it, Its ambitious but i will give it a try!

You're welcome and good luck. :eek:)

The way I understand it is you would breed cock #1 and hen #1 then take the pullet (#2) with the color you want and breed it back to cock #1 and then take the stag(#2) with the color you want and breed it to pullet #2 and then breed back into the original cock and you would get the color you want. Not entirely sure though.

Lets see if i got it, So Take a pullet that i like from the first hatch and breed it to her Dad, then breed one pullet from that 2nd hatch between Dad and Daughter to a stag that i like from the 1st hatch (her uncle) and finally take a pullet from 3rd hatch between Uncle and Niece with the best color and breed back to the original cock (Grandparent) to get the desired color. Three generations, sounds pretty good to me, Ill make more research on inbreeding. Do you know if there are major consequences to inbreeding?

Back
Top Bottom