Breeding goat help

Jenneh85

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2015
Phoenix
I have a dwarf nigerian mix doe who is 11 months old, I would like to start breeding.

I have a buck who is more then ready, but my main concern is her mother, she tends to go head butt crazy on Squirt the one I want to breed.

I am afraid of something happening to Squirt, Should I make her own enclosure ?

How do you tell if a doe is actually pregnant?

Goats butt each other, a lot, I never had a doe abort from it though, so they should be okay. Goats have a gestation of five months, without doing tests, a good sign of pregnancy is the buck shows no interest anymore, and after about three months the belly gets bigger, by four months on you should notice some udder development and hollowing of the tail head and flanks. An old farmers way of checking is to lightly bump the belly on the right side, you should be able to feel the kids up until she goes into labor.

Goats butt each other, a lot, I never had a doe abort from it though, so they should be okay. Goats have a gestation of five months, without doing tests, a good sign of pregnancy is the buck shows no interest anymore, and after about three months the belly gets bigger, by four months on you should notice some udder development and hollowing of the tail head and flanks. An old farmers way of checking is to lightly bump the belly on the right side, you should be able to feel the kids up until she goes into labor.
Thank you so much for your honesty and input. I googled stuff but it doesnt say anything about head butt crazy mama's. I will toss her in with Cisco tomorrow and leave her I guess in there for 3 days?

I personally dont know how long to leave her in there for the deed to be done. Online said that you would know if the deed was done by a discharge of milky color on her lady parts, is this true?

I've always kept my buck right in with the does, he will stop breeding her or she will stop standing for it. Standing heat is usually 24 hours, she will come back in heat in about 21 days. I have never noticed a discharge.

If you want an exact due date, only put them together when she is in heat. Do you know what heat looks like?

Only put the buck and intended doe together. A few hours or until she will no longer stand to be bred usually does the trick.

If you want an exact due date, only put them together when she is in heat. Do you know what heat looks like?

Only put the buck and intended doe together. A few hours or until she will no longer stand to be bred usually does the trick.

Well what I am going to do today is toss her in there for the whole night, Online said that there would be a milky discharge on her lady parts, both my does are in heat I think. They flag their tails allot, I dont hear them bleating or screaming. I see them putting their rumps towards his enclosure through out the day. Both of them if that means anything in goaty terms.

Thank you so much for your honesty and input. I googled stuff but it doesnt say anything about head butt crazy mama's. I will toss her in with Cisco tomorrow and leave her I guess in there for 3 days?

I personally dont know how long to leave her in there for the deed to be done. Online said that you would know if the deed was done by a discharge of milky color on her lady parts, is this true?
The buck will COMPLETELY loose interest in them once they're bred. Before they're bred, they'll make kissy faces at each other, he'll "court" them by sticking his head in their pee - as well as his own and generally obsess over their back ends. Once they're bred, they're just scenery. No more foreplay. They wont (typically) go back into heat after being bred and they wont stand for the buck if he wont get the hint and keeps trying.

They're quick when it comes to actually doing the deed and the evidence of the deed will be on their back sides after. Our Nubian/Nigerians took about two weeks in with the buck. All of them are 1yr olds and were a tad slow to catch on. Our buck isn't very bucky, barely more than a fat baby at one and the girls weren't real impressed. For the second week I was thinking we missed the season, but the total change in behavior this month makes me think we got it covered. Now they graze in together like he's one of the girls, only crankier.

As for the butting... yeah, they let each other have it every now and again. ;) The girls seem to be their same old mellow selves. The only other clue is that they're eating like crazy and where our boy is getting chunky, they're just normal.

The advice you have been getting is good. Just a couple comments. If the doe is in standing heat, the whole thing will be over in a couple of minutes. It doesn't hurt to leave the buck with her though. If you leave the buck in with the does, take him out before they start to kid. Sometimes a doe that has just kidded smells like a doe in heat to the buck and he will chase her and try to breed her. A just fresh doe does not appreciate this kind of attention and who can blame her?

We left our buck in with our doe until we got the separate enclosures and barns built and even though she was already pregnant he would not leave her alone and it made her miserable so we had to hurry and get them separated. We knew the doe we bred took as soon as the deed was done as she arched her back. It took just minutes. Hope this helps.

I tossed her in there today, he went crazy, she doesnt seem too thrilled, I will keep my eyes on her through out the day to make sure she is okay.

Back
Top Bottom