Breeding help - polydactyly trait in Ayam Cemani's - recessive or dominant?

Mothacluckerrr

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2020
I have two adorable lil mutant Ayam Cemanis, each with five toes on one foot only (supposed to only be four). I've looked at studies done on polydactylism but they are honestly just hard to understand. Anyone know a lot about this and care to explain in layman's terms?! Lol! Pretty please?

Their mother and father did not have five toes but it was determined by the breeder that the mother was the only carrier of the gene.

I will be breeding them each to unrelated pairs (from an entirely different region) that also do not have five toes (one female and one male of each pair will have the trait).

What are the odds their offspring will be polydactyl? It doesn't hurt them at all, no affect on function or health... but I imagine will be less desirable to buyers?

Anyone think I could somehow market this as like "the rarest of the rare?! XMEN AYAM CEMANIS!"

All suggestions appreciated!

Attachments

• 1593291985346.jpg
    1593291985346.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 111
I have two adorable lil mutant Ayam Cemanis, each with five toes on one foot only (supposed to only be four). I've looked at studies done on polydactylism but they are honestly just hard to understand. Anyone know a lot about this and care to explain in layman's terms?! Lol! Pretty please?

Their mother and father did not have five toes but it was determined by the breeder that the mother was the only carrier of the gene.

I will be breeding them each to unrelated pairs (from an entirely different region) that also do not have five toes (one female and one male of each pair will have the trait).

What are the odds their offspring will be polydactyl? It doesn't hurt them at all, no affect on function or health... but I imagine will be less desirable to buyers?

Anyone think I could somehow market this as like "the rarest of the rare?! XMEN AYAM CEMANIS!"

All suggestions appreciated!
Hi! Very interesting, I've never heard of that. I suggest moving your thread to the general breed duscussion forum. This one is more for hatching egg questions. You'll get better answers over there. Good luck!

I know nothing about the Ayam Cemanis, and extra toes. But recently I picked up some chicks. I thought was a silkie cross. Solid black, straight combs, 5 toes, smooth feathers. Growing up to be a couple of large chicks. They remind me of your chicken in the picture. I just been calling them, my vulture birds. Honestly, I have no clue what they really are:lau
20200628_160721.jpg

Hi! Very interesting, I've never heard of that. I suggest moving your thread to the general breed duscussion forum. This one is more for hatching egg questions. You'll get better answers over there. Good luck!

Can you help me figure out how to move this thread to a diff category? I can't seem to find the option and wasn't sure where to put it. Thank you!

I know nothing about the Ayam Cemanis, and extra toes. But recently I picked up some chicks. I thought was a silkie cross. Solid black, straight combs, 5 toes, smooth feathers. Growing up to be a couple of large chicks. They remind me of your chicken in the picture. I just been calling them, my vulture birds. Honestly, I have no clue what they really are:lau View attachment 2217934

Definitely looks like it's an AC cross! Maybe half silkie tho! I bet will be a beautiful lil vulture one day!! Lol

Don't market them as rare ayam cemanis. They're nor supposed to have 5 toes and not everyone will realize that when they see their add

Ah good call! I was mostly joking anyway and would be sure to always be clear that they were five toed and NOT The breed standard, and sell at barnyard mix prices. Likely just keep as pets and eat eggs tho.

Back
Top Bottom