breeding Heritage, and rare exotic breeds

Farmerboy16

Rebuilding my Farm
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Sparta, MI
I am really interested in breeding Heritage breeds, like RIRs, Barred Rocks, and a few others, and rare exotic breeds, like Malays, Sumatras, and a few others too, and I get most of my chicks from large hatcheries, and some from a local breeder. I want to breed them according to the APA Standard, for good egg production, and dual purposes. I will welcome any advice, and inputs. This is my first official year to do serious breeding. I want to everything in the right way. Thanks!
big_smile.png

My advice for you is: get them from a good breeder. There are many people that have quality stock and would be happy to help teach you how to breed them. It would make your goal easier to achieve. Also, I would recommend not getting too many breeds. You can get overwhelmed by having too many.
These are some great resources for selection http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchicken_assessment-1.pdf http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchicken_assessment-2.pdf http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchicken_assessment-3.pdf
I
hope you enjoy breeding poultry and have fun doing it!
i will be happy to answer any questions,
Punky

Last edited:
What I am doing now is- 10 hens and 2 roosters for each breed that I have, and I have lots land, so space is not a problem here, and I grow my own grain for them. I am trying to figure out how many acres of corn to plant for per number of birds that I have. Any idea how I can calculate it? Thanks
big_smile.png

I am going to guess that a single bird will eat around 70 pounds of feed a year. That is my guess I am not sure on this, you would have to ask someone else.
Is this what you are looking for?

Last edited:
The Malay needs research before a novice breeder takes them on I have 2 pairs. They eat alot and need alot of space and both roo and hens a mean but they make great pets just can't mix them in a flock. But that's just my birds some1 else may have trios. They lay few eggs.

Quote:
I have been raising chickens for 8 1/2 years, and had experienced meaner then mean roosters, and have discover a way how to prevent a young rooster becoming aggressive to humans. I plan keeping the malays separate from the other chickens. Thanks for your input!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Your sumatras looks very nice!
barnie.gif
Unfortunately I already got 10 chicks from Ideal, but if I do not like their strain, I will buy a few dozen eggs from you. Thanks for posting the pictures!
big_smile.png
I will post the pictures of them when they feather out completely, and see what you think of them. Right now they are 1 week old.

Quote:
Your sumatras looks very nice!
barnie.gif
Unfortunately I already got 10 chicks from Ideal, but if I do not like their strain, I will buy a few dozen eggs from you. Thanks for posting the pictures!
big_smile.png
I will post the pictures of them when they feather out completely, and see what you think of them. Right now they are 1 week old.

Not trying to be rude, but I can already tell you they will not be what any breeder looks for in a Sumatra. If you are just wanting them for just "birds" they will be fine but if you want a real sumatra you need to start with good birds from some breeder.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom