Breeding Heritage Ducks

Sachasmom

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Upstate NY
So, I asked this on the genetics forum and didn't get much of a response, so I figured I would try here.

I have Buff ducks. I *really REALLY* like them. Only its been next to impossible to find any breeding stock at all. I finally got a drake for my girls (a mink ate both of mine over the winter) last weekend, and that took me almost 4 months of searching and emailing and begging to get! None of them are any place close to show quality either, but I don't have a poultry standard to look up the breed standard to see how far off I am.

I got some Buff Ducklings, and the quality on them looks even worse.
sad.png
They're all feathering in LACED over the backs? Is that normal?

So, suggestions here? I just hate like heck to just cull them all, seeing as how they are a rare breed, but its been nothing but frustrating. I could switch to Cayugas and find show stock much much easier, but I love my Buffs!
love.gif
I just had no idea it would be so hard to find any stock, let alone show quality stock!

Do I save the best typed hens out of those laced ducklings and breed it to my drake? How do I get RID of the lacing?

I'm assuming that the offspring out of my two hens and the new drake will be better than those ducklings, but I don't want to cull them all, and then have a Fox eat my drake and be back where I started, with two hens and no Drake!

I'm still on the hunt for better quality stuff, I've found a few breeders on Ebay and most will not even respond. Is there a website for Show Quality Waterfowl that I'm just not finding? I think I have googled everything and come up short. Is there a National show for Waterfowl or Poultry like there is for rabbits? I went to the OH National last year, but there were no Buffs for sale there that I saw.

Have you tried Holderreads? I have a couple of Buff ducklings, I think that's what they are. I got an assortment of duck eggs from someone in VA and a couple of the ducklings look like Buffs. I guess I'll have a better idea once they grow some more.

Laurie

Try Sandhill Preservation Center: http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/ducks.html

They
sell Buff ducklings for $4 each - you might be able to get an order in yet this summer, they ship ducklings through the end of August.

I have a pair of Dutch Hookbills, a pair of Indian Runners, and two trios of Dark Campbells from Sandhill, and I'm very pleased with them.
smile.png

They don't quite compare the quality of Holderreads ducklings - BUT, I don't think Holderreads is selling Buff ducklings.

Also, this is a far cry from the full breed standard, but here's a nice page on Buffs (in cause you haven't found it already): http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/buffduck.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Sandhill Buffs a few years ago. All of them did come out with angel wings where all the other breeds I bought and feed the same where normal. I don't know why that happened. They where on waterfowl feed. I think they might have been just very fast growers and needed the food reduced more. They did have a very pretty color and where big compared to my other buffs I had. Almost like a different breed.

You know, one of my Hookbills from Sandhill had a touch of Twisted Wing too, which I was able to nearly fix (there's still one feather that sticks out). He was the only one out of 10 ducklings, and they were all on the same feed - but, the Hookbills matured much more quickly than the other breeds, and the feed that I was feeding them was a bit too high in protein. I know now to switch them to a 16% Grower ration at 3 weeks and I haven't had a problem since.
smile.png

It seems Angel wing has a bit more to do with Genetics than it does feed. The extra protein can cause angel wing in both ducks with or without Angel wing in the duckies family medical history (Or the gene). Extar prtoein can cause the angel wing in ducks who'd heritage doesn't have angel wing. But it does seem that duck's with the Angel wing Genes, are a lot more likely to get angel wing, even if their feed is monitored.... It's weird I know.... It's best hust to wrap them up and try to pin the wings down and hope for the best

It been to long for me to remember when I switched to lower protein with the Buffs, but I think I did everything by the book. I know I had Storeys Guide to raising ducks at the time and I was feeding Mazuri waterfowl food. The only thing that might be different than other people is I live in the desert without pasture or grass. That could be a big difference in why I got angel wings.

My new duck get a little patch of grass That I planted. I am sure its not enough.

You need to join the International Waterfowl Breeders Association. If you type the name into any search engine you will easily find their homepage. Their dues are very cheap, and you will find they give you access to a list of breeders that raise buffs. I know that one of the top buff breeders is in MN. His name is Ryan Gartman. He has TOP stock. Also in Indiana, the Pattersons have buffs. Some of their original stock traces back to our breeding pens, but we have not had that breed for years. A lot of our stock cam from Gartmans. They've been through a couple other breeders over time, but the last time I saw them, they were spectacular birds.

I saw that Sandhill had Buffs, but IDK about the quality, I already have what I would consider hatchery quality, and I don't want more of it, LOL Its not like you can call or email them questions about their stuff, right? I think I had emailed with a question once and never got a response.

I didn't have any trouble with Angel wing in any of mine, I had a Pekin last year that had it, but so far these guys all seem fine.

Does anyone know what the color is supposed to be? Solid Buff with no white or lacing? Now the next question is should I just buy better stock in Nov and cull these guys? Keep them for genetic diversity and just select the best offspring out of thier next batch? I'm thinking it may be hard to find stock again, LOL

Thank you SO SO much for the nudge in the right direction! I kept thinking there had to be someplace with breeder listings someplace, but Google was keeping it secret from me! I'm going to MN in Nov, maybe I can coordinate something for then! I'm going to have a car full of rabbits though <Wonders how to fit a pair/trio of Buffs in there>

Quote:
Well if you went to the Ohio National poultry show (they may have others ) you should know that The American Poultry Association exists and they have poultry shows across the nation. I think the The ohio national is one of the bigger shows on the circuit.
The American Bantam Association covers both bantam chicken and ducks. The Poultry Press is the poultry Showers and breeders newspaper and covers shows and many breeders advertise there. I suggest you google them and visit their websites as a place to get started or to buy good stock.

Back
Top Bottom