Breeding In Winter

Duckbreeder2020

Crossing the Road
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey
I have two ducks, a crested and a Pekin. I want to breed them in winter. They are in a big cage half the size of a wide dinner table. They have hay in there and it’s warmer then it is outside. Can u breed them in winter? They are each a year old

0561E5D6-0B09-4F03-9046-2C6AD8F284D7.jpeg
9DD3AA89-9DBD-4E61-A51A-4C57C8E42600.jpeg

why would you breed a created duck? if you do that your just gonna end up hurting the ducklings because some of them will die hatching and some will have to live with issues because of their crest
I was doing research, and it’s ok to breed a crested if it’s not with another crested. So I’m doing Pekin with Crested. I’ve already done a Crested with a Kahki Camble and all eggs hatched successfully except one in the spring. So it’s safe for a crested and Pekin to breed. But, can you do breeding in winter?

In a nut shell because the crested and the pekin carry the crested gene (recessive) there will be a percentage of offspring whos brain will develop outside it's skull and it will die in the shell. If this is something you can live with, that's up to you. I'd highly recommend finding a mate for the crested that does not carry the gene.

In a nut shell because the crested and the pekin carry the crested gene (recessive) there will be a percentage of offspring whos brain will develop outside it's skull and it will die in the shell. If this is something you can live with, that's up to you. I'd highly recommend finding a mate for the crested that does not carry the gene.
All my other drakes are to young. They are only 3 months old. Will the ducklings be hurting? Or is there a chance they could live healthy lives?

As far as pain, the world will never know what a crested feels because we're not the animal. By the looks of the crested, they seem to be feeling fine when you observe their behavior but who knows if it causes them discomfort. When an animal is born into pain and it's all they know is it really pain or is it just all they know? 🤯

The real problem I'm having is the fact that some will die from a genetic defect because to do it right would require you to wait for your other drakes to grow out. It raises ethical concerns in my opinion and shouldn't even be an option. But again, it's your life and your decision.

EDITED: Please don't take this personal 😉 Just trying to provoke some thought to help you make a decision that's best for you and your flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom