Breeding Kentucky Game Cock

debtrag

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
North Central, Indiana
I have a Kentucky Game Cock that has never been involved in sport fighting. He is actually an offspring (under a year old) of many generations of chicks that have not been involved in sportfighting. My friend has them because they are very self sufficient and need little "extra" care.

My first question is, would it be good/bad to let him breed with my domestic chickens? I have 1 roo 'barred rock mix" who is very protecive but I have 24 hens which is, I'm sure, too much for him. Spurs would have to be removed according to another thread on how to remove spurs.

My second question is, 19 of these hens are golden comets, are the infertile because of their genetic breeding? The other 5 are, 1 rir, 1 silkie mix, 1 aracona/banty mix & 2 aracona mix??

I'm open to all suggestion/comments.

Thanks, Deb

I had a game hen once & let me tell ya ..I hatched babies from her that had various fathers from "normal" birds from my flock..the roosters were the worst..natural born fighters.

Quote:
I'm lost at why you don't think a Game is a dometic chicken? Game genetics are included in many dual-purpose breeds. They were added for vigor and health; plus, many Game strains lay very well.

As a benefit, Games seldom produce manfighters; unlike leg laying and dual purpose breeds. saladin

Thank you Saladin,

I have a significant other who has a problem with him, I'm not sure why, the bird is beautiful and very self sufficient. The only thing that I worry about is the spurs, should I remove them? He has, at a pretty young age, engaged the older game cock and he won. He has never had any problem with me or my family, cats, dogs, but those spurs have me cautious, especially with my more domestic bred roo. They like to do that "roo thing" with the fence between them. Thanks Deb

Back
Top Bottom