Breeding Khaki Cambells

ghostco

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Hi there!
I posted a while ago asking for help identify our dear Jerry. Turns out he is a she!
She started laying about a week and a half ago (an egg a day since!) and about two days after she started we got a Drake.
When will she / will she ever sit on them? She currently is too occupied with the new boy and pond! And what are the timelines for all that?
Any other help would be very much appreciated also! New to duck raising :)

I've got a single female Khaki Campbell. I had three originally, 1 drake and 2 girls, but the hawks had a taste for duck apparently. Anyway, I had them about a year, and I was getting 2 eggs a day from the girls nonstop. But they NEVER sat on them. They shared the nesting boxes with 12 chickens and I swear my ducks laid at night because first thing in the morning when it was still dark I could find my duck eggs and the ducks were the first to take off out of the coop.

I don't think my ducks sat on the eggs at all, but as I said mine only made it a year and I doubt my 1 female will go broody without a male.

Sorry to hear about the Hawks. That's awful :(
So I'd be better using an incubator?
At what point will the eggs be fertile?

I've noticed that opinions on Campbell mothering vary among breeders/hatcheries. Holderread agrees with the Livestock Conservancy, Metzer says good, and a couple of others I've seen say fair-good. As far as my own goes, she seems to lay eggs only because it's a biological function. She lays them all over the ground, in the ponds, wading pool, etc. She's well aware of where the nesting boxes are and continually visits other ducks setting on a nest, but she's never laid a single egg in the nest. Maybe that will change as she gets older, but I'm not holding my breath.

Back
Top Bottom