Breeding mandarins

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by junglarium, Jan 8, 2013.

1. junglarium

junglarium Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    I have been told recently that it is better to have 2 pairs for breeding than just one and was wondering if it's true.

Luc

2. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    I think it depends on that particular aviculturists' experience. My most recent experience with Mandarins (had to part with them 2010) was just one pair in a large aviary with Bahama Pintail, Blue-winged Teal, Whistling Ducks, & Redhead. They bred just fine, provided two boxes with ramps & let them decide which to use. The whistling ducks actually used a "pot", well a plastic pot that had a shrub from Lowes in it.

Prior to this past aviculture venture, I had one pair kept with a pair of Wood Ducks and same situation. As I quote in my disclaimer on gbwf, and I firmly believe this: "I cannot guarantee what has worked for one will work for another. These birds can be unpredictable, and we learn something new from them every day." I tell kids I teach, there are NO animal experts, just people with lots of knowledge [​IMG].

Try it one year with one pair, see how it works, if it doesn't work out, you've always got 2014.

Good luck,
    Dan

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Years ago I started out with just one pair and it worked out just fine. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by