Breeding our own meat birds/What breeds to pair with him?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
First of all I'd like mention that I will be using our almost year old Cuckoo Marans cockerel. I'm really loving his temperament so I don't plan on keeping another breeding male due to this. I simply don't have time to deal with aggression during breeding.
Tidbit hasn't begun to show signs of attempting to mate our current females so I'm definitely going to wait until after he does.
I already plan on getting some Delaware chicks for meat so once those are close to butcher age, I'll begin breeding.

I won't be getting more chicks until after the Delawares are feathered out and can be moved out of the brooder so that I can make sure I have room. I'm just planning ahead so that I won't be scrambling to figure it out.

What breeds would be best to pair with him?

First of all I'd like mention that I will be using our almost year old Cuckoo Marans cockerel. I'm really loving his temperament so I don't plan on keeping another breeding male due to this. I simply don't have time to deal with aggression during breeding.
Tidbit hasn't begun to show signs of attempting to mate our current females so I'm definitely going to wait until after he does.
I already plan on getting some Delaware chicks for meat so once those are close to butcher age, I'll begin breeding.

I won't be getting more chicks until after the Delawares are feathered out and can be moved out of the brooder so that I can make sure I have room. I'm just planning ahead so that I won't be scrambling to figure it out.

What breeds would be best to pair with him?
I have no experience breeding with Cuckoo Marans, though the best cross I've done for meat, was Easter Egger X Brahma. They gave me Giants with decent amounts of meat.
We just ate the cockerel we had froze for a roaster 2yrs ago, the other night for chicken soup, & he tasted like Turkey(No kidding).

Why are you getting Delaware for meat? Is there something you like about the Delaware for meat?

Where are you getting the hens to breed with your Marans? What are the choices?

To me, if you like Delaware for meat, Delaware would be an obvious choice.

Why are you getting Delaware for meat? Is there something you like about the Delaware for meat?

Where are you getting the hens to breed with your Marans? What are the choices?

To me, if you like Delaware for meat, Delaware would be an obvious choice.
I had posted another thread asking for breed suggestions for meat and had decided on doing Delaware.
I'm getting any chicks from our local feed store. There aren't a whole lot of breeders nearby that are breeding standard size.
Asking for breed suggestions to mix with our cockerel is never a bad thing. I like hearing what others suggest. It helps a lot with me learning.

If I remember correctly I'm probably one of those that suggested Delaware to you. I probably also mentioned New Hampshire. I think either one of those would be a good choice for a meat bird. But then, many other breeds will work.

I agree, asking questions is never a bad thing. We all have our own personal preferences. My thought process in this thread is that if you've settled on Delaware for your meat project there is a good chance you'd like the offspring of the Marans and Delaware for meat.

Not knowing what breeds will be available at your feed store you could get two or three different breeds of pullets and try them all side by side. See which do better in your circumstances. One of the potential problems with that is the Cuckoo Marans boy will mostly produce chicks colored like him. So a suggestion is to get a single combed hen like the Delaware and a rose combed hen like a Wyandotte. That way you can tell who the mother is by the comb.

If I remember correctly I'm probably one of those that suggested Delaware to you. I probably also mentioned New Hampshire. I think either one of those would be a good choice for a meat bird. But then, many other breeds will work.

I agree, asking questions is never a bad thing. We all have our own personal preferences. My thought process in this thread is that if you've settled on Delaware for your meat project there is a good chance you'd like the offspring of the Marans and Delaware for meat.

Not knowing what breeds will be available at your feed store you could get two or three different breeds of pullets and try them all side by side. See which do better in your circumstances. One of the potential problems with that is the Cuckoo Marans boy will mostly produce chicks colored like him. So a suggestion is to get a single combed hen like the Delaware and a rose combed hen like a Wyandotte. That way you can tell who the mother is by the comb.
I hope my reply wasn't rude when I responded.
I'm honestly not worried if they're colored like him. All hatched will turn into food.
I guess I should have mentioned weight wise is what I'm going for in this breeding.

Back
Top Bottom