Breeding pair question

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
So, I have ended up with too many roosters, (as one does) but I seem to have the same breed hen for each rooster if that makes sense? My question is, can I keep them together as breeding pairs without any problems? Or would I need multiple hens for the roos? I want them kept as pairs for several reasons,
1. I can't seem to rehome the extra roos
2. I figured it would keep down fighting amongst the roos if they are separated.
3. I have a special needs cockerel that will probably get picked on if he's with the main flock.
4. I would like to sell chicks/hatching eggs in the future once everyone starts laying.

Thanks for any insight!

can I keep them together as breeding pairs without any problems?
Maybe. Some breeders do that or something similar and it works out, but sometimes there are problems. It's pretty common during breeding season for breeders to keep one rooster with one or two hens. Those hens generally don't get over-mated or overstressed. Generally. But they do not use cockerels and pullets, they use fully mature hens and roosters. The roosters ae well past that hormone driven madness that often causes problems with immature cockerels and the girls are mature enough to do their part without being forced into it.

That doesn't always work. Each chicken has its own personality and some seem to never grow up. There are ways to handle that too. As Sourland said, a hen can store sperm for a while after a mating. If you let the rooster in for a conjugal visit once a week the eggs should stay fertile. You may be able to keep the boys together in a bachelor pad, often the boys won't fight much if there are no girls to fight over. But, no guarantees. As I said, each chicken has its own personality so you can never be certain how they will react.

I think it is worth saying again. Mature hens and roosters often act a lot differently than immature pullets and immature hormone driven cockerels. You are much more likely to have issues if you don't wait for them to grow up.

You would need two coops and runs, which is always fun for lots of reasons. I am a bit worried, because, people do love to hatch eggs, BUT 50% of those eggs will be roosters. 50% of the chicks will be roosters - and other people won't want to buy them. What cha gonna do?

It sounds like you are just getting started (I may be wrong) but I think it would be best, if you can identify which hen lays which egg, keep one rooster, and only hatch the eggs that match that pair. Let the other rooster go for this year.

If this is your first year, I strongly suggest, going with just hens, and getting a rooster next year. IMO - roosters take experience, and are a crap shoot, and a lot of them don't work out, even if they are working out today.

In small set ups, the least number of roosters or no roosters is best.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom