Breeding partridge with black

Chikyboy

Bantam Cochin Collector
Oct 14, 2021
Nebraska
I crossed my partridge cochin rooster with my black cochin hen. I'm pretty sure that the offspring would be black, but what would the chicks be if I bred the hens back to their father?

Chicks would be black with gold leakage but if you crossed them back you would get some partridge and partridge with melanizers.

Chicks would be black with gold leakage but if you crossed them back you would get some partridge and partridge with melanizers.
Do you think if I crossed a cock from this cross back to his mom I would get complete blacks? Or little bit of both?

What would happen if I bred the F1 together? Just more blacks with leakage? Or some partridge and black?

What would happen if I bred the F1 together? Just more blacks with leakage? Or some partridge and black?
Some partridge and black. But black hens can be less homozygous than they appear and may produce leaky sons in the future.

I got four partridge chicks and only one black. I'm kinda confused lol.
1692238940601.png

Do you have a partridge hen?

Maybe the black hen is secretly heterozygous, idk.
Nope, she is the only banty hen and all she was sitting on were banty eggs. I'm not mad, it saves me a generation in breeding. I got the hen and the rooster as eggs from a lady, and I know she had crossed other cochin colors before, like black x mottled and buff x black, and so on. So it is possible she had crossed the colors before.

Back
Top Bottom