Breeding Program????

1eyejer

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Prince Edward Island
I am hoping to aquire some rare purebred chickens and I am looking to find out how to breed them and keep the breed pure..This might be a silly question ,but im new to this purebred thing and want to do it right..is there some kind of formula i should follow?? Thanks

I would first study the standard of the breed as much as possible and then purchase the best that you can find and afford......select as good of male(s) as possible...study his good points and bad points (according to the standard)....then mate him to a hen(s) that will compliment him....hens that will improve his weaknesses and never have hens that have the SAME faults as the male(s)....you want the males to have good traits that the hens may not have...if both birds have desired traits, then look for the minor things and never breed two faults or birds with disqulifications....two bads don't make a good! Remember the male is half of your breeding pen...even if he's with just one hen or 25 hens.... it does not happen overnight....many breeders (including myself) have been trying to improve their stock for 20,30,40, years....there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Good Luck....There are many, many, many people on here that will give you GREAT advice....

May I suggest going to this website? http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/index.html This gentleman has been breeding to SOP for many, many years and he has suggestions for how to do this on his website. He talks about the specific breeds he is working with but I would imagine it would be the same for any breed just a different SOP. I hope this helps. Just so you know, I am new to chickens but what I have seen of his posts have been very informative.

Limit the number of breeds you have. Try to get your start from multiple sources to increase the genetic variability you have to start with. Be considerate of quarantine issues as during startup disease issues can otherwise tie up your time and may result in losses of difficult to acquire stock. Breeding requires space ($) and the ability to isolate breeding groups. Record keeping will also be very important (lots of time). Tracking who is related to whom aids in determining which individuals and pairings produce offspring of desired characteristics. Look into marking systems, toe punching, wing or leg bands, etc.. Marking properly and keeping records can make or break a breeding program. Look into marking. Take your time and do not jumb in too fast. Talk to experienced breeders multiple times and to multiple individuals. Different methods / ways of thinking will be come evident. See which will fit your resources best.

Quote:
As I understand the chicken world, the concept of "purebred" is not particularly important. Keeping strictly within a breed will likely make the breeder's life easier,but is not necessary; in the chicken world, comformity to standard is more important than what you used to get the end result.

You should be able to find out about things like "line breeding" with a simple web search. Probably you will find discussion of other breeding programs in the same places.

There are several different techniques: Rolling matings, Clan/Yard matings, Linebreeding, Grading, Outcrossing, and variations of all these.

First, you need to follow Centrar's advice as it concerns research.

If you get into preserving and improving a breed, you need to follow what Pyncheon said.

Study all you can and never stop learning or experiementing.

I hear and understand what TimG says. I'm not in complete agreement with him but I understand exactly what he is saying.

Almost all the Canadian members of the SPPA are Lifemembers. We currently have around 18 Canadian members. They would be an excellent resource for you to tap into.

Back
Top Bottom