breeding quail??

I've only had 1 quail with the messed up feet. We never got to find out about breeding though because the stupid dog broke through the door and ate all but 4 and the babies!!! Stupid dog. Any way there was one lady that I met in Northern TN who had her wuail in an indoor garage that was semi heated with heat lamps and the quail mated all year long. She was getting dozens of eggs, My babies are outside all the time so they will just have to start breeding next year, not that I will actually use the eggs seeing as only one female survived. I got a friend here in TN that sells them for less then a dollar a chick. I'll let him do the incubating
big_smile.png
C

Quote:
I recently started breeding quail myself. I have 75 coturnix and a hundred buttons due to hatch next week. Is the foot problems due to hatch temps a big issue? Is this something that I should expect as my temps were about a degree low for the first day?

I have Cortunixs. Only two, Big Girl and Minimin. Big girl is a jumbo cortunix and Minimin is a male small variety. They are not related so i kept them as pets. Minimin has a hard time getting it on with Big Girl becasue of her size so I'm not sure if her eggs will be fertile but he is trying.

Yeah incubator temp is what my book and the internet say. Mine is was sure was right on, I even have the automatic turner. There is a website called Gamebird.com, I think, and there is lots of technical stuff on there and lots of breeder/raisers to talk to. Just make sure to run your bator for a while before hand to make sure the temp is constant. Also I would recommond to make sure your breeders are getting a good vitamin mix or additvie, I think some of the leg problems can be due to that too.

Back
Top Bottom