Breeding question for Pilgrim Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gottsegnet, Dec 10, 2010.

1. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    Though the breed probably doesn't matter.

I have two males and a female which is not the best breeding ratio. Should I separate one of the males or wait until Green Bean chooses one and then separate? And what should I do with Mr. Left Out? I hope to get him a mate eventually. Maybe from the hoped for goslings since they are all unrelated.

We were supposed to have goose for Thanksgiving (hence the names: Green Bean, Turkey and Pumpkin), but after we lost five of eight to a weasel attack, I couldn't bring myself to slaughter any of the remaining geese. These guys are now officially pets.

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    You have to get that other male out of there when they start breeding they will both try to breed her then they will eventually kill her

3. gottsegnet

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    Well that wouldn't be cool. I knew one would need to be separated, but I wasn't sure if I should make the decision of who gets breed her or if I should let her.

Thanks!

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    You want your gander to look like its up to the standard. And if you have any pics it would be appreciated on selecting the right gander. [​IMG]

5. gottsegnet

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    Cool. I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by