Breeding question.....

beebiz

Songster
12 Years
Jul 2, 2007
W. Tennessee
I have pure bred Buff Orphingtons and Plymouth Barred Rocks that are about the same age. They aren't laying yet, but should be withing the next couple of weeks or so.

I am disabled and therefore do things a lot slower than most. That coupled with the fact that veggies have been coming in from the garden and have needed to be put up, the yard has to be taken care of, and everything else, it has taken me quite a while to build my hen house and hen yard.

I have it built so that each breed will have 1/2 of the hen house and 1/2 of the hen yard. That way each breed can remain pure. But for now, they are each having to share the only side that is completed.

I believe that I will have both sides completed so that I can separate then before they start laying. But, if something happens and they start laying before I get things finished, I'm sure there will be some crossbreed "hanky-panky" going on. If this happens and I separate then "after the fact," will my purebred hens still be able to lay eggs that will hatch true to their breed?? Or, will they be forevermore tainted by their agressor's copulation??

Thanks in advance for any information you can lend!

Robert

Thanks for the information. A long time ago, an elderly gentleman told me that once a hen is bred by a different breed rooster she would no longer be able to yeild purebred offspring. Though I know that virtually anything is possible, I just found this information to be rather hard to believe! I'm glad to hear different from the two of you.

Thanks for taking time to look at and answer my question!!!!

Robert

Back
Top Bottom