Breeding question

havenellaaj

Hatching
Mar 30, 2017
Clinton, Mi
Im new to chickens, i bought an incubator and got eggs locally from a lady on FB. She said that she had Rhode Island reds and Easter Eggers in her flock . She said the eggs that were green were the Easter Eggers and the brown eggs were Rhode Islands. Can you tell what breed a chicken is by the color of their egg? Also how do i know they aren't a cross breed of both Easter Eggers x Rhode Island reds?

Easter eggers aren't so much a breed as a name for a variety of chicken that lays large 'colorful' eggs. (Blue, green, everything inbetween,...)

It depends on the breeds in question whether you can differentiate between the eggs but in this case I think you can be pretty confident, a RIR doesn't lay green eggs. :)

You can't determine the rooster that fertilised the hen based on the egg's appearance afaik, you just need to take the breeders' word they ensured the two lines didn't cross.

Americuanas they colored eggs they are very sweet good at laying they come in different colors and each color lays a different color egg

Back
Top Bottom