1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding Question.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KyleD., Feb 11, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    If i bred Game hens with a Golden Comet rooster would it be good. i mean as far as egg laying and such? im not looking for any show quality birds or anything but just wondering how the outcome would be.

2. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    The game hens that we have(they are my husbands LOL!) are good egg layers and setters. They lay white eggs. The comets lay big brown eggs. Don't know if that helps you decide..[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  3. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    First to be clear, they would be mutts. You may end up with a good layer, that would go broody more often then a Comet would.

4. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    ... and Red Comets are purebred? lol Good point definately expect a tendency towards broodiness, not a big deal if you go collect eggs reguarly and never leave them any to set on and good if you want to incubate some eggs.
    [​IMG]
    I have a young game brahma cross, or mutt if you prefer, but I don't know her laying tendencies yet.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    In general, when I know WHAT the cross is, that is how I refer to it. Yes, they are mutts, but mutts could be anything. "SilkieXd'uccle" or "silkieXbrahma" or "silkieXaraucana" are more specific, descriptive and accurate than "mutt."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by