breeding question

Jmac9876

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Warner Robins, Georgia
Hello all,
I have a breeding questions. Does a tom's fertility rate slow down as the season goes on? I've got toms doing their job but have alot of eggs that aren't fertile when I set them. I'm setting everything laid unless it gets wet. Alot of them have no activity in them at all.
I only have 1 tom for each pen and they only have 5 hens. I'm still getting at least 2 eggs a day from each pen. Any thoughts?

Sounds like your tom is a dud. Some will be fertile first few weeks then drop off. If that is the case then you want to find a new line to get toms out of as this is a genetic trait and not a good one !!!

How was your fertility early in the season? I see you are in Georgia and the heat takes a toll on fertility, not only on the birds themselves but if you aren't there to get the eggs soon after they are layed the 95+ degree days will lower your hatch rate.

There are quite a few factors in fertility. The age of the birds is a major factor after 3 or 4 years it's drops off quite a bit, plus the laying season is shorter, the length of time they have been laying also figures in.

Steve in NC

I have hatched quite a few poults this season. One tom is only a year old the other I don't know in fact he is leaving shortly and I'm replacing him w/ one of his poults born this year. I didn't know about the 95 degree- I will try and pick up eggs more while I am home.

Steve- I'm glad you are staying on the forum- you are one of the reasons why I keep coming back for info on the turkeys- I hope to be 1/2 as knowledgeable as you are one day.

thanks

Quote:
That's what I was wondering about the early season lay. Once it gets to warm here we don't sit any more eggs - our chicken egg customers enjoy the turkey eggs mixed in or we just boil them back for the birds.

Thanks for your support it always good to "talk turkey"

Steve

Back
Top Bottom