Breeding question.

sam511

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Central Missouri
Pearl over Porcelain = ?
Porcelain over Pearl = ?

Recently I purchased a flock of pearls that included a pair of porcelains. Never had that color before and was curious. Not into pieds very much. Thanks!

Pearl over Porcelain = ?
Porcelain over Pearl = ?

Recently I purchased a flock of pearls that included a pair of porcelains. Never had that color before and was curious. Not into pieds very much. Thanks!

I don't think that you need to worry about getting pieds from this group. Pieds are created by mating a white guinea with any other color guinea. My understanding is that the white color gene is located in a different place from the other color genes. A white guinea is caused by having two white genes, one from each parent. A pied guinea only has one white gene. Since you don't have any white or pied guineas in your flock, you won't get any white or pied guineas from any of your matings.

The other ways to get pied guineas is by mating a pied guinea to a pied guinea which will produce 50% pied guineas and 50% white guineas. Mating a pied guinea to a solid color guinea other than a white guinea theoretically will produce 25% pied guineas and 75% solid color guineas. Mating a pied guinea to a white guinea should produce 25% pied guineas and 75% white guineas.

The porcelain guineas do not have the white gene but they do have 1 buff gene and 1 blue gene.

Pearl and dotted are dominant genes so it is possible that your pearls may be carrying other genes that may express themselves in a pearl/porcelain mating. If your pearls are not carrying any recessive genes, then any matings you get will only produce pearl guineas.

Here is a link to some information about the color genetics of guineas.

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/genetics/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom