Breeding Questions.

BrandoMan

Songster
May 30, 2011
Prewitt, NM USA
Hey its been awhile since I been on here. So update got three new chickens and a duck. I ended up getting a Rhode island red which looks more like a sex link cause its got ALOT of black on the tail feathers. A Black Sumatra and what I think is a golden laced Cochin bantam. Think it's a bantam cause she small. The black Sumatra was named Precious. She was the smallest one when we got her and she got picked on but then she got huge. Way bigger than the rest and the duck. Well she decided to crow about four days ago so she aboy. Which I'm excitited about. His tail ain't that long yet and no spurs yet. Just a little nub starting on each leg. Wondering how they get a double spur. Does the spur split into two or actually two different nubs that grow to spurs? Also if her mates with the Rhode island red hen and golden laced Cochin what kinda offspring would I expect. Color sex wise. Thinking Rhode island red won't be sex linked since she looks like she a sex link anyways with the black mixed in with her tail feathers. The golden laced Cochin bantam is his favorite she nudges him to get under him. Gonna be some weird babies. Also him and the duck are buddies since there were brought home together and had them separated but had to throw them together cause the Sumatra would just cry all night unless they were together and the duck would protect him when he was tiny. The duck would grab the Rhode island red around her neck when she would peck and chase the Sumatra.

Hey its been awhile since I been on here. So update got three new chickens and a duck. I ended up getting a Rhode island red which looks more like a sex link cause its got ALOT of black on the tail feathers.
Thinking Rhode island red won't be sex linked since she looks like she a sex link anyways with the black mixed in with her tail feathers.
Black tail feathers are not indicative of Sex Links. Red Sex Link hens typically have white underfluff and white feathers in their tails whereas red gene breeds such as RIRs and New Hampshires have black feathers in their tails (see the pics below).
red-sexilix-chicken-300x232.jpg
Red Sex Link hen
ri-reds2-jpg.jpg
Rhode Island Red rooster and hen
f31d0d84_40145_dsc00473.jpeg
New Hampshire rooster and hens

Well the Rhode island red tail feathers are not all black. Mostly red with some having black specs and some bigger blobs of black. I'd have to take pics and post them

Sorry not a good pic and a bit old. Gotta take a current pic. They all changed a bit since this photo. The duck is a khaki Campbell I think. Lol thought he was a runner when I first got him.

Sorry not a good pic and a bit old. Gotta take a current pic. They all changed a bit since this photo. The duck is a khaki Campbell I think. Lol thought he was a runner when I first got him.
The red bird on the right in your pic is a Production Red. It lacks the deep body, dark mahogany color, and profuse black tail feathering of a heritage Rhode Island Red (like those in my last post).

Sorry I'm busy guy so takes me awhile to go online. I took some pics today but forgot to do so tell night. Lol so pics are not great as usual.

Back
Top Bottom