Breeding silkies/chickens - have some questions **PICS ADDED page 2**

Thank you all for your replies!

I currently have nine Blue/Black/Splash chicks - and one white chick with split wing (I think) so she will be a "pet". The two older splash chicks - a pullet and a cockerel - I think are really nice. They are only 6 weeks old right now so time will tell. So far I can't find any faults on them, and their leg feathering looks good. Of course I am still very green at this!

The seven younger chicks (a week and a half old
big_smile.png
) - I am pretty sure the two pure black chicks have split wing (on one wing, but not the other), so those are also "pets". The others so far don't have any major faults - good toe spacing, wings look good. A few have great foot feathering. I know it's really early at this stage to tell. I got these from a different breeder so I can breed any females to the older splash cockerel if he turns out really nice.

Maybe when the chicks get a little older, I could post pics of them on here and ask for critiques - since all I know about silkies is what I've read on here.

Thanks again!
Melissa

Quote:
You cannot tell if a bird has split wing at a week and a half. You need to wait to see if they have that once they get their MUCH older, after they get adult feathers. While they are still growing and changing, they will continuously molt and drop feathers as new ones grow in, so they could look like they have split wing at any time they are molting out.

Quote:
You cannot tell if a bird has split wing at a week and a half. You need to wait to see if they have that once they get their MUCH older, after they get adult feathers. While they are still growing and changing, they will continuously molt and drop feathers as new ones grow in, so they could look like they have split wing at any time they are molting out.

Oh okay, I asked about split wing in another thread and was told that you could tell as early as when the initial wing feathers come in. I'm glad to know that my "kids" might end up having normal wings!

You have to wait for those adult feathers. Until they are much older, the only thing you can really look for is toe feathering (middle toe feathering present or absent), toe split, and if the bird has a single comb or prominent horns.

Okay, here are some pics of my up and coming silkies. They are 8 weeks old tomorrow. My other ones are much younger and at the pin-cushion stage right now so I'll wait on posting their photos.

This morning I discovered that my splash cockerel, Ping, appears to have a slightly off-center beak. Is this something that I should try to correct by trimming the very tip of the lower beak? I don't want it to get worse if it's something that can be helped. Is this something that eliminates him as a breeder? I know it's early, but so far, he has awesome foot feathering (his dad won champion featherleg), and great toe separation, etc.

52617_dscf5395.jpg

He wouldn't stand for a nice full-body shot.

Here is his sister, Weilan. I think she's very nice. Again, very nice foot feathering, toes (same dad). Wings appear pretty tight so far.

52617_dscf5389.jpg

And here is my white pullet, Mulan. This is the one I think may have split wing (but don't know yet) - 8 weeks old:

52617_dscf5379.jpg

52617_dscf5391.jpg

and a shot of the ladies together:

52617_dscf5387.jpg

Please ignore the missing wall paper behind the couch - I have cats who like to claw the wall paper and I'm in the process of removing it.
big_smile.png

Please tell me what you think. Do these look like breeding birds?

Thanks!!!

Melissa

You really can't tell at this point. I have learned that you will sell or give away a LOT of good birds unless you wait until at least 4-5 months before making a decision. Some grow out early and other don't really fill out until they are at least 4-5 months...or even more.

I had a lavender pullet that I thought was hideous...until about 5-6 weeks ago. She is now 7 months old and is gorgeous. It's very individual....and terribly exasperating!!
big_smile.png

On the other hand, I've never hatched a chick that took my breath away...and had it turn out to be a dud. They are few and far between, but when you see them, you know them!!

Just keep on keeping on. Grow them out for a good while and then make a decision. I would recommend PM'ing a silkie breeder that you respect and ask them to critique your older birds (with plenty of pics). Don't keep any birds with a DQ...they will just breed DQ's into your flock and you will play hell getting rid of them. Split wing isn't all that common, so I wouldn't be worried about that right now.

The most important thing is 1. NO DQ's 2. type (this is how the bird looks overall... I like them to have an S-shape very early..short back...nice cushion...nice crest...just an overall great look)

This is just my opinion. I'm sure other silkie breeder's will have different opinions.
big_smile.png
Oh...and we are all freakish about something, usually. I'm a "wing freak"... I like a wing that looks like a smile from the side. Nice and tight.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking also.

If the bird does have a cross beak, do not use him for breeding. It could be genetic or an incubation problem, but I would not want to take the chance of introducing something like that into my line.

Back
Top Bottom