Breeding Silver laced wyndotte roo to blue australorp and barred rock hens. What coulours and good idea or not.

Magnum338

Chirping
May 30, 2023
Hey everyone. I have a silver laced roo an was thinking of making him my main roo.
I have hens of same breed but also have some blue austrilorp and barred rock hens.
Was wondering what to expect colouring wise and if you have any in put as to if its a good idea. Was hoping for a blue australorp roo but
You know how it goes

Hey everyone. I have a silver laced roo an was thinking of making him my main roo.
I have hens of same breed but also have some blue austrilorp and barred rock hens.
Was wondering what to expect colouring wise and if you have any in put as to if its a good idea. Was hoping for a blue australorp roo but
You know how it goes
Yeah, I was going to say, blue roo over barred hens would be cool. You know who has some is @3KillerBs !!!

An SLW male over Blue Australorp girls would give you 50/50 black and blue chicks, who might or might not show some leakage as they mature.

SLW male over Barred Rock chicks would give you a sex-linked cross with black females and single-barred males. Not sure how leakage would work in this combination.

Yeah, I was going to say, blue roo over barred hens would be cool. You know who has some is @3KillerBs !!!

I actually have some for sale right now. Also Splash.

Australorp and Australorp Cross Chickens in Moore County, NC
Blue and Splash Australorp Cockerels Looking for Flocks in the NC Sandhills
Blue Australorp Rooster, Seasoned Flockmaster Looking for a New Position -- NC Sandhills

I not only have spring chicks for sale, but I'm cycling out males to limit inbreeding so I'm selling my more mature boys too.

Blue roo over barred makes sex links where the males would presumably have blue (or black?) barring. The females would be solid though, I think either black or blue.

Another BYC thread I found seems to think the SLW roo over barred hens would be sex linked too though!? Black barred roos and black hens. 🤷 With rose combs.

I tried one of those calculators and it looks like SLW over blue, you would get both blue/black laced hens and roos, and solid black of both sexes as well.

Thank you for the reply and info. Man I wish I lived closer .
Id love to get one of your mature boys.
But getting chicks or adult chickens accross into Canada has been a challenge since the bird flue BS started. Had 3 orders of chicks cancelled last year due to avian bird flue zones.
Have you had any problems with this in the states

But getting chicks or adult chickens accross into Canada has been a challenge...
Wow, that's terrible! Yes, there have been ramifications here for some people. But mostly it's like, if you happen to have a sick bird and report it, they will come and eliminate your entire flock for you. Gee, thanks.

But getting chicks or adult chickens accross into Canada has been a challenge since the bird flue BS started. Had 3 orders of chicks cancelled last year due to avian bird flue zones.
Have you had any problems with this in the states

Bit of a long trip for a bird. :D

The avian flu thing hasn't affected me *personally* yet and I pray it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom