breeding the self-blue gene

Here's a blue chick
SilkieBlueChik.JPEG

Here are some lavender chicks
IMG_5050.jpg

Where did you get your chicks from?

I got them from a farm here, but I think he said he got them from Ideal. They were ALL mixed together in one brooder, and I picked out 5 whites, 3 blacks, and this one little guy that was the only one of his color. We've been calling her/him Lil' Blue, but I'm wondering if it's a lavender?
Here's one as chicks all together... you can see the one that doesn't match there on the bottom left.
IMG_1165.jpg

Black
IMG_1171.jpg

White
IMG_1172.jpg

Blue? Lavender?
IMG_1173.jpg

This one is a little older picture... sorry, not the best - it doesn't like to stand still.
big_smile.png

P4210026.jpg

It definately looks like it could be a lavender. It also may be a splash, but I'd say lavender.

BTW, it looks like you may have a couple blues in there. In the individual pics, that "black" is a blue.

I'm delighted that the little guy is a lavender. Of course, I'm not exactly sure what a splash is, either... I thought they were mottled more in coloring, and this guy is just flat color.
The other three I'm pretty sure are black - at least they look that way now. I'll see if I can get some photos of them this morning, just to make sure.
smile.png
Thank you for your help!

Although... now looking at the chick photo, there are two that look solid black, and then the one is lighter, with dark wings... I think that's the one in the single photo, too. I think I need to pull them all out and photograph them side-by-side.
smile.png
Need to get the boys to school here, but within a couple of hours I'll get some photos. Thanks!

OK... here's some photos of them now... I think they're right around 8 weeks if what the guy told me is true. They're still losing some of their baby fuzz, and now that they're almost grown out, I noticed that I have bearded and non-bearded too.

Here's the group of them now...
Silkies5-8-20088-10-13AM.jpg

Here's Lil' Blue (lav?):
LilBlue5-8-20087-59-31AM.jpg

Here's Blue/Lav, White, Black together...
BlueWhiteBlack5-8-20088-06-06AM-1.jpg

Our youngest looked at me with sadness, and said "Lil' Purple doesn't sound good! Can I still call it Lil' Blue?" Hahaha! I think he/she looks like Stitch, from Disney's Lilo & Stitch, so that's what I'm calling it.
lol.png

This is Bronson... he's pretty homely looking. I may breed him to see what we get, though.
Bronson5-8-20088-02-35AM.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, now that they're older, it looks like you have two blues and one black. In the group pic, the darker one in the middle is the black. Looking at the full body shot, Lil' Blue/Stitch (LOL) is a lavender.

Chuckle... I like Stitch!
big_smile.png

So Bronson and one of the girls are blue... wow.
ya.gif
I thought they were blacks! LOL! Shows that I have a lot to learn. So what is a "splash"? I need to do some more research...
caf.gif

This is a splash, shes only about 7 months old in this pic.
splashfemale2.jpg

Here's a splash cockerel.
pepperandbufffemale.jpg

Here's a hen that one BB at a show this spring
IMG_5164.jpg

Last edited:
OK... that's what I thought... more mottled, like paint that hasn't been mixed well.
big_smile.png

Very pretty babies... I can't wait to start making my own babies!!
Thank you!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom