Breeding to early?

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
Been in North Alabama a good bit past few weeks came home Sunday and been watching my turkeys last few days. My hen has started squating alot for the tom he's still kinda sketchy about what his job is but has been successful a few times already. Is it a little early for this to be happening or is this a sign she may start laying soon. Seems a little early in the year for her to lay but the Temps down here have ranged from 85 to 29 the last few weeks.
20220105_100821.jpg

Been in North Alabama a good bit past few weeks came home Sunday and been watching my turkeys last few days. My hen has started squating alot for the tom he's still kinda sketchy about what his job is but has been successful a few times already. Is it a little early for this to be happening or is this a sign she may start laying soon. Seems a little early in the year for her to lay but the Temps down here have ranged from 85 to 29 the last few weeks. View attachment 2950621
Mine will start breeding next month. You have longer daylight hours in Alabama than I have here. It would not be uncommon that breeding begins there in January.

It is possible that egg laying is still a month to go. Breeding starts here in February but laying doesn't start until mid March.

Separating my birds into breeding groups now. As @R2elk stated mine also start breeding in February here also and some always start laying mid march and all laying heavily in April. My young 1st year hens always start first and seems older they get the later they start.

Back
Top Bottom