Breeding tractors

I've kept various breeding groups in "chicken tractors" 8 feet long, 3 feet wide, 3 feet tall. Egg fertility seemed fine. I know Buff Orpingtons were in one, and Light Brahmas were in another. (I think they were hatchery-quality birds, thus smaller than what breeders select for, but it's been enough years I cannot now be sure.)

I typically kept 6 adult chickens in each such pen (6 hens, or 5 hens plus a rooster.) That made 4 square feet per chicken, and it was dragged onto fresh grass every day or so.

There was a roost across the short way near each end, about halfway up. Nestboxes were plastic bins with a lip, that sat between a roost and a support brace in the end of the pen.

The pens had tarp over the entire top, and a tarp wrapped around one half of the sides--one short side, half of each long side, so that end was sheltered. The design was basically copied from the book "Chicken Tractor," with a few minor modifications.

These pens were used in the summertime near Kenai, Alaska. Temperatures were have been above freezing, below about 80 degrees fahrenheit; no hurricanes or tornadoes, sometimes rain but no real downpours or heavy winds. No predators dug under (but since I do not know what predators were in the area, that's probably not very useful information ;) )

I do not think the daily moves were stressful for the birds. The pen just got dragged with a rope handle while they walked inside it. They seemed to like having fresh grass each day. Because the pen was only moved one pen-length, the chickens were not really in a "new" place, just a little ways over from where they were before.

Hmm having a hard time visualizing what you're talking about. Can you find any similar pics as an example? I dont get the hinged part.
Our current hoop style coops will be getting wheels and hitch receivers this spring so I can move them around with our 4 wheeler so I dont ever have to scoop poop!
My idea is the run and coop be the "wheelbarrow" and just have handles to lift & move.
The hinged part is just for opening the roof for cleaning and access.

Back
Top Bottom