Breeding

saraelizabeth

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2016
Hutchinson, KS
I have two Cayugas and one Pekin, who are all about 15 weeks old. I'm almost positive one of the Cayugas is a drake because he is very quiet while my Pekin is EXTREMELY loud lol. At what age are they able to start breeding? I wouldn't mind ducklings but my mom on the other hand...not so much. If I were to separate my drake out would he become stressed and lonely?

I have two Cayugas and one Pekin, who are all about 15 weeks old. I'm almost positive one of the Cayugas is a drake because he is very quiet while my Pekin is EXTREMELY loud lol. At what age are they able to start breeding? I wouldn't mind ducklings but my mom on the other hand...not so much. If I were to separate my drake out would he become stressed and lonely?
Just take their eggs everyday that is how I keep from being over run with ducklings. If they are best buddies they would be so sad to have to live apart. The only real thing to worry about is him over mating them. You'll need to watch for any bare places on their head and around her upper neck and wings. Drakes can be pretty rough on ducks. We always rec at least 2-4 ducks per drake. Since you have 2 ducks to 1 drake you maybe okay..

The Cayugas are best buddies, always together while the Pekin is more independent. Ok I'll be sure to watch for that. Thank you!
Just take their eggs everyday that is how I keep from being over run with ducklings. If they are best buddies they would be so sad to have to live apart. The only real thing to worry about is him over mating them. You'll need to watch for any bare places on their head and around her upper neck and wings. Drakes can be pretty rough on ducks. We always rec at least 2-4 ducks per drake. Since you have 2 ducks to 1 drake you maybe okay..

Back
Top Bottom