Breeding

X43smitty

Hatching
Nov 29, 2023
Has anyone bred pheasants year round? Is it possible? Can you use artificial light like you can with other poultry , not necessarily going to do it, just some random thoughts I had today

Hi,

I saw nobody was answering and I'm sorry, but then I went searching BYC to come up with some threads for you and got stumped.

First, where are you? Climate matters. People breed poultry year-round in every climate but then different arrangements and supplies are needed for cold climates versus warm ones.

Second, any particular type of pheasant or peafowl that you were thinking about? That matters too.

I also got stumped, I’ve done extensive research and everything is such a wide range of opinions, and some contradicts others.
I’m in Utah, so it gets cold then warm, it was 24F today, I’m gonna venture all over the board , I’m gonna focus on game birds, more less the ringneck pheasants and off spring , also have bobwhite quail, gonna get chukar and some other quail as well, just in beginning stages of my first yr of hatching, so I spend way to much time studying and trying to figure it out, also want to breed turkeys and chickens if I can find popular enough breeds I can sell, I appreciate you taking the time to try and find answers for my annoying questions , I’m obsessed and just want to be successful, lol

I also got stumped, I’ve done extensive research and everything is such a wide range of opinions, and some contradicts others.
I’m in Utah, so it gets cold then warm, it was 24F today, I’m gonna venture all over the board , I’m gonna focus on game birds, more less the ringneck pheasants and off spring , also have bobwhite quail, gonna get chukar and some other quail as well, just in beginning stages of my first yr of hatching, so I spend way to much time studying and trying to figure it out, also want to breed turkeys and chickens if I can find popular enough breeds I can sell, I appreciate you taking the time to try and find answers for my annoying questions , I’m obsessed and just want to be successful, lol
I was just searching here in BYC using the search feature. I tried searching: breeding pheasants, breeding peafowl, breeding year-round, and the threads or articles I saw were usually focused on a particular breed of bird, so I didn't know if it applied to you.

To find out popular breeds that sell, I see in my Facebook poultry groups what people are looking for. If you have an acct, you can find several poultry groups or probably can even narrow it down to pheasants or peafowl groups near you, then peruse what people are looking to buy/sell. That's where I peddle my silkies for the most part. I've also used Craigslist a few times as well, and you can search what people are ISO there too.

Welcome to BYC, btw! Good luck!

Has anyone bred pheasants year round? Is it possible? Can you use artificial light like you can with other poultry , not necessarily going to do it, just some random thoughts I had today
Gamebirds as a whole, do not breed all year long. Most are seasonal layers, the only one I'm aware of that is a year round layer is Coturnix quail.
Artifical lighting will help them to get started earlier than normally they would but it also shortens the lifespan of the birds.
Depending on the species, they may lay between 25 to 100 eggs per season. In general, pheasants and quail do not produce like other domesticated poultry.

Yes you can. There's a pheasant farm in my state that breeds commercial food pheasants year round.

Back
Top Bottom