Breeding

chik magnet

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
Enid OK
I Don't know were to put this so I guess this is the best spot.I have read that you can cross a Delaware rooster to a RIR hen and get chicks of the delaware color pattern.Is this true?

Delaware male on RIR female. They ought to be pretty much the same colour & pattern, except the male offspring would have brassy neck & saddle hackles & possibly colour leakage in the shoulders. Of course they would have a different shape & wouldn't breed true.
The other way around gives sex linked offspring.

Quote:
Agree
smile.png

So how do you get true Delawares?

The best way would be to find a reputable breeder & put your name down on their waiting list.

There seem to be enough breeders of quailty Delawares to make re-creating them unnecessary.​

So if you Beed a Delaware rooster to Delaware Hen what are you going to get.

If you breed two pure bred Delawares, as the others have said, you will get more Delawares.

But if you cross a Delaware with a RIR, while the colour will be similar to a Delaware it will not be a pure bred Delaware it will be a cross breed.

So if you cross two of the crosses together you will get a mish mash of gene combinations.​

Ok a was told that a Delaware is a cross between a Delaware and a RIR.Which I now know is not true so sorry for all the confusion .

Back
Top Bottom