Breeding ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FluffyChic, Jan 5, 2010.

1. FluffyChic

FluffyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    Okay, as I am very new to this and now have a Roo w/my pullets-6 1/2mos old, will they actually breed in the winter? The reason I ask is because dh and I see the roo trying to get on them already-not sure if anythings happening yet or not:lol: !!?? This morning one of my BO pullets was sitting on an egg for a while and we were wondering if it is possible that that could be a fertilized egg? I thought I read somewhere that everything is different in the winter? The BO did end up getting off the egg-but just wondered if she got broody in the future if we should let her go-or would it be wasting her time??? Also, I've not actually seen him on any of my BO girls but he favors the BR girls, which is what he is. I'm assuming when it's time he'll take care of all of them, right?[​IMG]

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I am no expert, but I think once the roo is doing his thing and the hens are letting him and laying eggs, you are probably fertilized. However, I don't know if that would be every egg, since I don't know if they have to "do it" every day or not. Someone much more knowledgeable than I am will, I hope, jump on here and educate both of us. I think most people candle eggs to see if they are fertile, so I assume that means not ALL eggs are automatically fertile.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This link shows the bull's eye which tells you if they are fertile or not. It is not always wasy to see. If you are not sure, post a picture and someone can probably help you.

Fertile Egg Pictures
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Yes, they will breed in the winter. Many people on this forum are currently hatching eggs and some are doing quite well.

Will he take care of them all. Probably. It depends mainly on his energy level and how many hens there are. He should easily be able to take care of 10 to 12. Above that number of hens, he will if he is a little energetic, especially a young one like that. Breed and coloring should not matter. My Speckled Sussex favors a white Delaware and a Black Australorp, not the speckled Sussex pullet or the Buff Orps, although he does pay attention to them all.

4. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    It's quick. And, they don't have to "do it" every day or even once per egg. I think some people recommend waiting three weeks when you remove a rooster from a pen to make sure none of his genetic material is still doing its work.

I'd be surprised if any of your new layers went broody this winter. Hens will often linger in the nest box or just hang out in a nest box, it doesn't mean she's thinking about being broody. I've never had a broody hen, but I'm pretty sure they collect a clutch of eggs first -- a hen won't lay one egg and then go broody.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    It all depends my old rooster was "doing his job" regularly with all the ladies even though he was still young but none of the eggs developed when incubated so I am assuming he just hadn't gotten the hang of it. My Faverolles certainly has and they are the proud parents on 4 chicks that hatched in GA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by