Breeds at TSC

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wyandotte96, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Wyandotte96

Wyandotte96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Ohio
    What breeds does the TSC in Sandusky Ohio? Also do they have good quality chicks?

Thanks
    Corey

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I don't know about your specific TSC, but most of them get their birds from hatcheries. They are good quality, not show quality of course. Almost none of them are purebreds, no matter what they say. They usually have stock production birds, or birds that are bred for a high quantity of eggs and/or color sexing.

3. Bernard P. Fife

Bernard P. Fife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Alabama
    If you have their number you may just want to call them and ask them. I checked with mine and they said they won't really know exactly what they'll get until they ship and arrive at the store. She said if I wanted to get a specific breed then I could place an order (25 minimum which I thought was high considering) and pick them up at the store. She said to look for brochures and more info to come out end of Feb/first of March. I don't know if that's standard for every store or not.

4. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    Most have a couple of pure breeds which are different each shipment. So one week they may have a certain breed but when they sell out and the next shipment comes in, it will be different. But they usually always have one kind of production chicks like golden comets, red production, black production. They will also carry one type of meat chicken.

Also make sure you know what your looking at. The (most) employees at TSC don't know anything about chickens, so be prepared for that. Last spring I walked into my local TSC and asked what breeds they had, beside the Black Australorps that was clearly marked, they told me that they have straight run chicks and pullets. I've read other threads/posts on here where TSC employees have said that a particular bin was straight run pullets! Usually the pure bred bins will be straight run, and the production chicks will be pullets because they are sex-linked.

Pure breeds that my local TSC had last spring (in different shipments) was Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, various Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, and maybe New Hampshire Red. Don't count on them having any really rare breeds, but like someone else wrote you can order chicks through TSC. Personally if I was going to have to order a minimum of 25 I would order them myself through a hatchery. That way you can choose to get all girls and you know TSC is making money off your order. Also you would probably have more of a choice of breeds and combination of those breeds if you order through a hatchery.

I placed an order through Meyer Hatchery in Ohio for March. I was able to order 11 breeds (3 of each breed) and it was for all pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by