Breeds for me?

PineBurrowPeeps

Eye see you...
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Here, there, and everywhere...
When I started on my chicken adventure earlier this year I knew I wanted BO's and I ordered 6, of which I have 3 left (one got taken by a pred, two got sold).
Other than that I added in some Cuckoo Marans (6) of which I have only 1 left (5 sold), 1 Leghorn for my DD to raise for showing (she took 3rd place this year, first show), and 1 Black Sumatra that my son picked to show but she got scratched from the show when a Pred ripped out all of her tail feathers (she's a houdini and ALWAYS esacping the run, luckily she flies really well and is FAST, hence the name Speeder).
To this I also have one Wyandott mutt that I rescued a few months ago and 3 New Hampshire Reds that I bought from my neighbor down the road.
I've been selling off my pullets here and there because I wasn't happy with certain ones. As much as I had been looking forward to nice dark eggs from my Marans, their temperment wasn't for me and though we've handled them constantly from the time they arrived they are grumpy and not very pet-like now that they are grown, maybe it's just mine, I don't know, so I've been selling them.
I also sold two of my NHR's (I had 5) in a bundle of birds I sold to a nice guy locally who paid me $180 for a lot of 12 birds and I needed the cash.
What I'm getting at is that I'm phasing out what I've got and looking for others.
Next spring we're going to renuvate our chicken area to give our girls ALOT more space run wise. They will have a Pred-Proof run for when we can't watch them but they will also have a very large fenced area for when we can.
I'd like to add some more chickens after we complete that.
My needs are:
Egg Laying Breed (we sell our eggs)
Attractive (Colorful is nice with some interesting feather patterns or whatnot, I want birds that people who visit the farm might not have ever seen before and maybe something downright gorgeous/exotic looking.)
Nice, Relaxed temperment and Pet-Like personality, I want birds that will come running for treats.

What do you think? If I can take it to the fair to show all the better but not a nessesity!
Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Hmmm so I just went browsing the Ideal Poultry site and so far I really like Buff Brahmas (they are stunning!), Salmon Favorelles, and Ameraucanas....
I had gone to look at Cochins but the site said that while they make good pets they aren't all that great for egg-laying... Maybe I'll get 2 just for pets.

This assortment plus what we already have would give us white eggs, brown eggs, cream eggs, tinted blue/green eggs, and dark brown eggs. Sure to make pretty cartons!
Now to convince my hubs that we NEED more chickens next year!

hi..i'm new to all this but...i think my aracauna's are real pretty...my silver spangled hamburg is also pretty....silkies are always cute!..those booted & bearded d'Uccle's are real pretty also...and what are those ones with the REAL long tails?...jungles??.i like them also.. they have real pretty colors...good luck, Wendy

Try getting in the door with my Speckled Sussex (whom i got at about 3-4 months old)is crazy they mob the door wanting to be close to you,they are super friendly,love treats and look very diffrent.
My Ameraucanas aka easter eggers whom i have raised from day olds run scared from me.

PDSavage, tell us about your Barred Rocks! I have my list and will be traveling to the state fair to purchase some good stock..

I have to chime in on Brahmas they are full of personality!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

my hens lay about 4/5wk

Jersy Giants - lay about 4wk
Plymoth Rocks - lay about 6/7

all my Large Fowl Cochins became dinner because they layed do bad (if you get from a breeder you can ask their habbits)
Bantam Cochin lay better!

Salmon Faverolle tend to get bullied in a mix flock!

If you want them to come running when they see you (you need to bring them treats or attention)

when ever mine see me they know if I don't have a treat I am going to sit & talk/pet (I make a big deal over them when ever I see them & of course tell them how pretty they are) ((this works with kids too))

when I buy chickens or hatch I do it in small #'s because if I get 20 at a time it is harder to pay attention to all

I get 10 I can hold them alot more & talk to them!

Back
Top Bottom