breeds from critical/threatened list Light Sussex& anothercolor<-chose

Quote:
I have heard bad things about aggressive Lakenvelder roos, although I am sure they vary.

I've had a few Golden Campines myself, they are *gorgeous*, very fast-maturing, and my hen (the other 5 chicks were all cockerels, wouldntcha know, and I eventually sold them) is a fairly good layer of small to medium white eggs, but... they are NUTS. Like Leghorns, and not in a good way
wink.png
The sky is always falling, and they only seem to have two modes, 'full panic' and 'waiting to go into full panic'. Not stupid or fearful, just *nuts*. They would probably survive very well free-ranging, with all that paranoia and energy, but for me they are just too hard on the nerves. I prefer more decaffeinated-type chickens
tongue.png
I know that other people have different tastes in chicken personalities so if you *like* chickens like this then by all means get Campines, I'm just sayin'
smile.png

Pat

I have lakenvelders as well as gold campines. They are both good in free range situations but they are very high strung. My faverolles also free range and are pretty calm.

As someone else said. What is rare in one place is not necessarily endangered or even rare elsewhere. Light Sussex are lovely, & I miss them. Light Sussex are the most frequent colour of one of the most common breeds in Britain; certainly a very long way from threatened, endangered over there.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom