Breeds of Duck that Fly & Clipping Wings (please list!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I always see a lot of people asking which breeds of ducks can fly so i figued I would start a thread for all those people that need the info. This info that I'm listing is from my own duck experience with breeds that I have owned.

Also info on clipping wings and other ways to prevent flying.

Here's a few breeds I know of:

Muscovy: Sometimes they males are too heavy, but they love to roost if they can.

Call: Can Fly VERY well!

Runner: Bad flyers

Buff: Good flyers

Khaki: Good flyers

Swedish: Can sometimes be too heavy, but they do try!

Mallard: Excellent flyers.

Wood: Excellent flyers.

Mandarin: Excellent flyers.

Mixed Breeds: It depends on the mix, I have had some that can and some that can't fly.

Everyone please feel free to add to the list

Clipping Wings: (my method)

I clip all my birds on the right side. This makes it MUCH easier to check and make sure everyone's been clipped.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Runners are good flyers? None of my runners fly. My production runners can get a little lift but that's about it. One time one of the females got left behind and jumped off a 8ft high rock wall. She looked so awesome. She was flapping with everything she had in her and managed a decent glide. She got no extra lift at all.

black east indies can fly.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Mine must have been a mix then, looked full runner though, i'll change that. thanks for the info [​IMG]

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I wouldnt say khakis and buffs and the farm ducks fly good...they just jump off the ground a few feet

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I must have owned mutants, lol. all mine could fly the distance from the coop to the creek very well. thats about 70ft at least.

well everyone feel free to post about your experience with your breeds & their ability to fly.

6. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    My muscovies big drakes included fly very very well! lol

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My buff flew like a brick. My khakis...slightly smaller slightly more aerodynamic bricks. My runner....not much better than the khakis [​IMG]

8. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:[​IMG] you always seem to have some good ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by