Breeds of these bantams

BrianT

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
North FL
The first and last one have feathered feet. The second one definately looks like a boy and the bottom one too. Any thoughts on breed?

The first chick looks like a gold laced Cochin, the last one looks like a blue Cochin. I have no idea what the others are. Cute babies though! Good luck with them :)

1st could be a Cochin or D'Uccle but it's hard to tell from the pic. It's much easier when we can see them standing naturally. Stance plays a big part in chicken breeds particularly with banties. 2 I would guess is a silver duckwing OEG (roo). 3 looks to be a D'Anvers (I would guess it is a roo). 4 looks to be a white laced red Cornish. Last I would guess is a D'Uccle roo.

1st could be a Cochin or D'Uccle but it's hard to tell from the pic. It's much easier when we can see them standing naturally. Stance plays a big part in chicken breeds particularly with banties. 2 I would guess is a silver duckwing OEG (roo). 3 looks to be a D'Anvers (I would guess it is a roo). 4 looks to be a white laced red Cornish. Last I would guess is a D'Uccle roo.

None of them have that tall, stately stance if that's what you're referring to. They just have that basic chicken stance.

No, when I refer to the stance, I'm looking at the overall shape of the bird, wing and tail carriage, length of leg, thickness of leg, and how the body is held in general. For example, a D'Uccle has a different overall stance than a Cochin... The body carriage is a little more upright, wings are held lower, overall body appears thinner, tail is more prominent and held higher in the D'Uccle. The keel (breastbone) of a Japanese will look almost parallel to the ground, wings will be held very low and the tail very high, legs will normally be very short. Cornish will have medium length thicker legs with the legs placed out wider due to the width of their chest, wings will be kept fairly close to the body, and when the feathers come in they will be very tight to the body.

The 4th one looks to be the only pullet. Pictures of them standing individually would help a lot with guessing the breeds
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom