1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeds of these bantams

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrianT, Apr 7, 2012.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    The first and last one have feathered feet. The second one definately looks like a boy and the bottom one too. Any thoughts on breed?

1[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The first chick looks like a gold laced Cochin, the last one looks like a blue Cochin. I have no idea what the others are. Cute babies though! Good luck with them :)

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    1st could be a Cochin or D'Uccle but it's hard to tell from the pic. It's much easier when we can see them standing naturally. Stance plays a big part in chicken breeds particularly with banties. 2 I would guess is a silver duckwing OEG (roo). 3 looks to be a D'Anvers (I would guess it is a roo). 4 looks to be a white laced red Cornish. Last I would guess is a D'Uccle roo.

4. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    None of them have that tall, stately stance if that's what you're referring to. They just have that basic chicken stance.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    No, when I refer to the stance, I'm looking at the overall shape of the bird, wing and tail carriage, length of leg, thickness of leg, and how the body is held in general. For example, a D'Uccle has a different overall stance than a Cochin... The body carriage is a little more upright, wings are held lower, overall body appears thinner, tail is more prominent and held higher in the D'Uccle. The keel (breastbone) of a Japanese will look almost parallel to the ground, wings will be held very low and the tail very high, legs will normally be very short. Cornish will have medium length thicker legs with the legs placed out wider due to the width of their chest, wings will be kept fairly close to the body, and when the feathers come in they will be very tight to the body.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    2 pullets and 3 cockerels as for breed can you get a pic of them standing on their own?

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    The 4th one looks to be the only pullet. Pictures of them standing individually would help a lot with guessing the breeds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by