Breeds that are good with children

Cochins.

Two of our red sex links are very friendly too. One of them even got to go to school for show-and-tell. She grew up with our daughter carrying her around, designated as "her" chicken, so she grew up just thinking it was her lot in life. The other perches on my shoulder like a parrot. Another one follows me around clucking even though she doesn't like being picked up.

Thank you everyone. Looks like I am going with these Golden Buff Orpingtons. I want chickens that are more affectionate so they feel more like pets and easy to handle when I need to bring them back into the coop. Also knowing my wife, she will freak out if I get a breed that is aggressive and it "attacks" the boys.

Cochins, definitely. Friendly fluffballs! And they standards are big enough to withstand being "hugged" and not harmed.
smile.png

We have plymouth rocks that are extremely friendly. They're 2 months old and our 15 month old son can go up to them and pet them. Our neighbor's 6 year old can walk up to them and pick them up. They greet me every day when I come home and will follow me around the yard at times.

I have a huge assortment of breeds....my Rhode Island Red GIRLS are all very nice and friendly. As are some of my cochins. RIR roosters on the other hand tend to be aggressive.....but my girls are by far the nicest, maybe tied with a couple of my nicer cochin girls.

I have quite a variety of pure breeds. My 5 grandkids (ages 3 - 12) visited over the holiday weekend. Their favorites were the Delawares. They ate out of the kids' hands and followed them around like puppies. They allowed the kids to pet them, hold them, feel the waddles and combs, etc. They also really liked the one Barred Rock I have. She jumped up on their lap, and loves to be held and petted.

I have 2 California Whites and 3 Ameracaunas and several Bantams from a mixed order. I think as with any animal it is how you raise them. I handled these guys from day one. My California White "Spot" (gotta luv that name!) is the most friendly. While in the kitchen as a youngster (she is now 9 weeks old) she would jump out of the brooder and follow me around on the floor. I can still walk into the pen and pick her up and pet her. She has a sweet personality. Also 2 of the Ameracaunas are the same way but again I held them and pet them whenever I fed them while growing up. I have a couple of RIR roos that are just kinda mean even though they got the same treatment. They will come up to me but are a bit skittish and don't like getting picked up. My Sultan roos and one Porcelain are as sweet as can be. I say the more you interact with them the better they will be as they grow up. I have 2 year old grandsons that can pet most of the chickens. I don't let them near the RIRs because they will peck their fingers. But I trust the rest with them wholly.

I'm reviving an old thread because when I put in the search "good with children" this came up and made the most sense what I'm looking for.
I'm just starting out(as in still in the planning/pipe dream stage) and live in the Midwest where the climate ranges from below zero to 90's. I also have a 5 & 6 year old, so I'm looking for hardy chickens who are also good with children, as in can be handled as pets. It seems like recommendations are all over the map, but it seems like buff orpingtons (?) are recommended a lot. Also, someone in another thread mentioned easter eggers because of the colorful eggs, but no one here has mentioned them so maybe they aren't as good with kids as I thought?
I'm so confused and probably more so now that I read this thread.

ydkjen,

For you out in the midwest (and for poultry lovers anywhere), I recommend the The American Buckeye. This is truly an American breed, developed in Ohio by Nettie Metcalf and has the distinction of being the only breed developed solely by a woman. Buckeyes are a dual purpose breed that are good layers of brown eggs and dress a good carcass if you choose to butcher. They do well in confinement and are excellent foragers -so much so that they are known as the most active of the American breeds. They do well in the humid heat of the deep south but excel in cold weather due to their pea-comb. Breeders in the midwest often keep their Buckeyes in unheated coops. They are a rich mahogany red with black in tail and wing feathers and yellow legs- a beautiful fowl. But what really recommends them to you is their famed friendliness and even temper. These birds are curious, comical, follow you around the yard, are first to greet you at feeding time and yes, some will even let you pet and love on them. The hens can and do go broody and make good mothers to chicks. The cock birds are rarely aggressive (I suggest buying from a reputable breeder), gentle with their girls and always on the alert for hawks and other predators. I personally know many new comers to poultry with small children who are positively delighted with their Buckeyes. I encourage you to read more about The American Buckeye and good luck on your search!

Back
Top Bottom