Breeds that can handle Texas summers...?

BorderKelpie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
outside Dallas
Hi,

I am considering placing an order with My Pet Chicken, but before I do, I want to make sure I am not going to make any of my new birds suffer. I am considering a standard Cochin (blue) and a Buff Orpington. I think they're gorgoeus. What I am worried about is they seem the have such heavy fearthering, will they be able to handle the heat in the summer? I live outside Dallas and summers can get a bit warm. I am also wanting to get some Easter Eggers, a Plymouth Rock and a Sussex. I know the PR and the EE's can handle it, I have some now, but the others I worry about.
Any opinions before I place my order?
Thanks!

Hi,

I am also a fellow Texan (we live in Parker, which is NE of Dallas)....and I am a new chicken owner. I just ordered 5 Buff Orphingtons from MPC. I was also concerned about choosing a breed that could tolerate the heat.

Our neighbor has a flock of various birds, and his Orphingtons do fine here in Texas. So after seeing his success with them, and hearing such wonderful things about their personalities and temperment-I decided to take the plunge. I also think they are very attractive birds. I can't wait for their arrival in April!

Good luck!

I think they will do ok I have BO and a Barred rock and they do ok and my friend has EEs and they do great. I am from Fort Worth so the temps are sort of similar.

Last edited:
You people are awesome - Thanks! I'll go place my order now
Yippee! chickies!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom