Breeds that can stand climate swings in South Dakota

CoffeeCreekChix

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
South eastern, South Dakota
I've been away from Chickens for awhile. I used to help my Grandma with hers. Now I'm trying to start a flock to share with my family, but with the climate swings we have here in SD. It can be well below freezing in the winter months to well above 100 in the summer. Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks

I live in MI so I know about cold winters and hot summers. I think Wyandottes, Australorps, Ameruacanas, Leghorns, Plymouth Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds would work for you. These breeds do well in cold and also heat and also are good layers. I hope this helped you!

Are they very docile? I've got 4 young grandchildren and they are going to want to pet them. I realize some will be tamer others, just like anything else. Plus I'm going to want to also and maybe show one or two?

Plymouth Rocks and Rhode Island Reds are generally docile but all of the breeds can be if you interact a ton with them when they are chicks. I'm sure this won't be a problem if you have kids! Orpingtons are another docile breed.

I believe that one of the best alternatives for your situation would be the Chantecler. They are docile and good egg producers, which come in White, Buff and Partridge color varieties. A very good breeder is located in South Dakota, and I think he has all the varieties. You should be able to find his information on the Chantecler Fanciers International breeder directory.

Back
Top Bottom