Breeds that lay for a long time not quantity?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hennyhandler, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I want to know what you think from your experience or knowledge which breeds you think lay well but last long compared to birds that lay super fast and then almost stop. I have some birds that are 4-5 years old and while I know it is winter there isn't many eggs at all. They layed GREAT up till now. I have heard others say that they have had theirs lay real good for a longer time. I would rather have some birds that will lay well for a long period of time than sooo many and then nothing. Is this even possible?

2. Syerf

Syerf Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Just like human females, hens are born with a set amount of eggs, "Good Layers" are bred to lay the majority of their eggs in their first year. Thus you would seem to be looking for a "mediocre layer" who will lay at a steady pace, a tortoise to the hare if you will.

3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Yes, that is what I am wanting. I am wanting to know what breeds there are that are like this and which one out of them that they think are the better choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by