breeds w/ 5 toes

AZmama

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 16, 2007
Are there other breeds besides silkies w/ black, 5-toed feet?
While at the feed store yesterday, in the brooder of "assorted bantams," I spotted a ball of fluff with such feet. I didn't notice any feathering on the feet, but I didn't know to look for that. It was fluffier than the rest. Dark in color.
Could it be a silkie? What else could it be? I really want a silkie. The other problem is, it is straight run. I cannot have a roo here.
Oh, what to do, what to do!
idunno.gif

Thanks for the reply, Cynthia. I looked up pics of the varieties you listed. None look like the fluff ball yesterday. It probably is a silkie. With my luck though, it'll be a roo. I guess I'll wait. Maybe someday we'll have a farm in the country, and it won't matter.

Here's my dorking. She has 5 fat toes and one of the friendliest chickens I've got. When she was small I was alarmed at all her toes. You can only see three, but the other two are on the back of her ankle.

DSC01021.jpg

You must have been to the same place I went to last month!! Well, at least I have chicks like that. The TSC had a tub of at least 25 chicks in it. All were black, all of their feet were black top and bottom and 5 toes. None had even the slightest amt of foot or leg feathering. No puffy crest or cheeks. Other than 5 toes, they do not resemble Silkies at all. If they were crosses I would expect some differences...but none. Right where the bottom side parts of their beaks where it meets skin...there appeared to possibly be a faint copper color in the feathers. These were also labeled bantams. I bought 4 just to see. I also bought 2 New Hampshire's the same age to make up the 6 minimum required by law. Well, After a month, they are still as big as the NH's and they have normal feathers. So, no ideas yet for mine!

Back
Top Bottom