Breeds With Patterned Hens?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
My husband and I were talking about the chickens and he said that while "the white ones" (Delawares), were just chickens and "the black ones" (an Australorp and a Black Langshan), were just black chickens he really liked "the grey ones" (Dark Brahmas), because they had a pattern and weren't boring.

Other than Dark Brahmas and Silver-laced Wyandottes, what hens are patterned with something other than barring?

He's been nicely indulgent of my chicken-owning desires so the least I can do if I get more is to consider ones that he'll enjoy looking at too (personally, I think that Columbian patterning is gorgeous -- except that the rooster leaves dirty footprints on the hens' backs).

I really love the Speckled Sussex coloring, Wyandottes come in a bunch of other laced colors, my favorite is the Blue Laced Red, the common brown/black or blue Easter Eggers I find attractive also. If you like smaller birds, Silver/Gold Spangled Hamburgs and Buttercups. Feathersite has a ton of pictures of pretty much every breed and color they come in you can think of. http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

Partridge would be a gold version of penciled, dark Brahma are silver penciled.
Double lacing can be seen in dark Cornish, and barneveldter.

Barnvelders have a gorgeous double laced hen. Really beautiful. I also think that the wheaten coloring in hens is particularly beautiful. And Polish and Houdans.... Some beautiful patterns in those and I love the soft rounded hen crests so much more than the spiky roo crests.

Back
Top Bottom