Breeds With Patterned Hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 3KillerBs, Feb 22, 2014.

1. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    My husband and I were talking about the chickens and he said that while "the white ones" (Delawares), were just chickens and "the black ones" (an Australorp and a Black Langshan), were just black chickens he really liked "the grey ones" (Dark Brahmas), because they had a pattern and weren't boring.

Other than Dark Brahmas and Silver-laced Wyandottes, what hens are patterned with something other than barring?

He's been nicely indulgent of my chicken-owning desires so the least I can do if I get more is to consider ones that he'll enjoy looking at too (personally, I think that Columbian patterning is gorgeous -- except that the rooster leaves dirty footprints on the hens' backs).

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I really love the Speckled Sussex coloring, Wyandottes come in a bunch of other laced colors, my favorite is the Blue Laced Red, the common brown/black or blue Easter Eggers I find attractive also. If you like smaller birds, Silver/Gold Spangled Hamburgs and Buttercups. Feathersite has a ton of pictures of pretty much every breed and color they come in you can think of. http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

3. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Partridge would be a gold version of penciled, dark Brahma are silver penciled.
    Double lacing can be seen in dark Cornish, and barneveldter.

4. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Barnvelders have a gorgeous double laced hen. Really beautiful. I also think that the wheaten coloring in hens is particularly beautiful. And Polish and Houdans.... Some beautiful patterns in those and I love the soft rounded hen crests so much more than the spiky roo crests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by