Breeds?

2chicks poultry

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
Othello Washington
Hi everyone!
frow.gif
I'm in 4-h and FFA, and I was showing a chicken at a fair and there was chicks were there on display only. At the end of the fair the kids could take them home. No one wanted them except one lady but she only wanted 10, and then another lady who only wanted 4. So I decided to take the rest. The man who had ordered them told me that he had gotten one of the straight run layer packages from Murray Mcmurray hatchery. So they can be cockerels or pullets, and they are supposed to be large fowl good layers. I'm trying to figure out the breeds already, I know I'm probably too early but I was just wondering if anyone can help me figure out what they are? Just the breeds I know its probably way too early to tell the genders.

I was thinking that maybe the lightest chick in the picture was a leghorn but it has kind of a buff hue to it so I'm not so sure.

The darker orange chick in the middle I think might be some type of sexlink?

Are the blackish chicks in this pic Australorps?

Image looks different because I had to switch what I was taking pics with sorry about the quality, is the more brown chick in this pic an Americana or EE?

Is the all black chick in this pic an Austalorp too? Or something else? Also the very orange chick to the left of the all black chick? Is it the same as the chick in the first pic?

Is this the same breed as the chick in the second pic or is it different?

Also because of these chicks being feed store I know it will probably be harder to guess. Thank you guys!!! I hope my pictures and questions made sense. I can't wait to see what they all are! Please tell me what you guys think!
smile.png

The black chick in the center of pic 3 is a Barred Rock or Dominique or Cuckoo Marans pullet (check the comb, single = Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans, rose = Dominique). Marans have white legs and Rocks and Dominiques have yellow legs. From the pic she appears to have yellow legs. She is definitely a pullet though, based on how she's feathering in more black than white. Based on the breeds McMurray sells, any other black chicks with a white spot on top of their heads are Barred Rock, Dominique, Cuckoo Marans, or Black Sexlink males.

It will be easier to know what the other chicks are when they are all feathered in, in 6-8 weeks or so. At this age there's too many possibilities, IMHO.

It will be easier to know what the other chicks are when they are all feathered in, in 6-8 weeks or so. At this age there's too many possibilities, IMHO.
X2 on Cowgirl71. If the black chicks with the white spot on top of its head came in a straight run layer package from Murray McMurray, they are likely Barred Rock chicks. As Cowgirl71 said, they could possibly be Dominiques or Cuckoo Marans, but since Murray McMurray sells those under their rare breed labels, it is unlikely that they would put them in their layer package. These two breeds would be more likely if the order was MM's rare breed special.

If the black chicks with the white spot on top of its head came in a straight run layer package from Murray McMurray, they are likely Barred Rock chicks. As Cowgirl71 said, they could possibly be Dominiques or Cuckoo Marans, but since Murray McMurray sells those under their rare breed labels, it is unlikely that they would put them in their layer package. These two breeds would be more likely if the order was MM's rare breed special.

True, they are most likely Barred Rocks.

The black chick in the center of pic 3 is a Barred Rock or Dominique or Cuckoo Marans pullet (check the comb, single = Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans, rose = Dominique). Marans have white legs and Rocks and Dominiques have yellow legs. From the pic she appears to have yellow legs. She is definitely a pullet though, based on how she's feathering in more black than white. Based on the breeds McMurray sells, any other black chicks with a white spot on top of their heads are Barred Rock, Dominique, Cuckoo Marans, or Black Sexlink males.

x3

I thought marans have slate legs? From the black and blue copper / blue marans ive had, they were all slate.

Im thinking they are all good egg producers. From what I see, the black ones are most likely barred rocks, the red ones are sexlinks, and the brown one is an easter egger.

You make me wonder if the chicks in my countys FFA building were given away!!!! But I think they were broilers.... or leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom