Breese bloodline rant!

Nope, they love to crow, non stop at dawn. You won't need an alarm clock with a Bresse rooster.

I currently have some Jersey Giant/Bresse crosses in my incubator. I plan on processing them before they start crowing at 3 months.

My Barbeziuex hens just started laying small eggs. I will cross them with my Bresse rooster in about a month. I like the taste of the pure Barbeziuex chicken, but they take too long to fill in. They keep growing for 14 months like the Jersey Giants.

Bresse crosses fill in faster than regular heritage breeds.

I am going to try this recipe with a Bresse chicken

Have you done taste test White Bresse vs. Barbeziuex? The Dorking taste just like Bresse, but growth pretty slow.

Have you done taste test White Bresse vs. Barbeziuex? The Dorking taste just like Bresse, but growth pretty slow.
I tried both, they have different meat texture, color and taste. The Barbeziuex chicken meat is gamey and kind of red. The texture is similar to duck. The Bresse skin is thinner and the meat color and texture is like regular chicken, it's taste depend on the chef. I haven't tried Dorkin, but I read that the Romans prefered it.

The Bresse chicken fill in faster and the roosters weigh 5 to 6 lbs. at 16 weeks where as the Barbezuiex rooster at 16 weeks are skinny probably around 3.50 lbs., but they keep growing for 14 months and get up to 10 lbs. The Barbezuiex chickens I ate were young 3.50lbs. cockerels. They start crowing before the Bresse and behave like wild birds. They scream and cry when I catch them. The Bresse are easier to handle.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your experience. I buy from paradise poultry to and have seen there pens also. I feel like they are very honest and most likely did not cross there birds with anything. I have Bresse from them to and have had plenty of off spring. I just got my first bird with yellow feet but that was out of about 30 that I hatched from my birds. I think it’s just a gene that comes out every once in a while. The birds always grow up to be very large extremely hearty birds. I cross mine with Marans and they are such healthy birds. Just wanted to put this out there because I feel like I always get quality birds from Paradise poultry and don’t want them bashed unnecessarily. The owner puts a lot of effort in there buisness and seems to really care about his customers.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I buy from paradise poultry to and have seen there pens also. I feel like they are very honest and most likely did not cross there birds with anything. I have Bresse from them to and have had plenty of off spring. I just got my first bird with yellow feet but that was out of about 30 that I hatched from my birds. I think it’s just a gene that comes out every once in a while. The birds always grow up to be very large extremely hearty birds. I cross mine with Marans and they are such healthy birds. Just wanted to put this out there because I feel like I always get quality birds from Paradise poultry and don’t want them bashed unnecessarily. The owner puts a lot of effort in there buisness and seems to really care about his customers.
I just got an email from Asagi Hatchery on Oahu where I live today, they said they hatch Cornish cross chicks every other week, so when I get things in order I will be ordering from them. Their Cornish cross mature in 8 weeks and they are around $3.50 each, in comparison to the Bresse at Paradise Poultry at $8 plus shipping.

I tried both, they have different meat texture, color and taste. The Barbeziuex chicken meat is gamey and kind of red. The texture is similar to duck. The Bresse skin is thinner and the meat color and texture is like regular chicken, it's taste depend on the chef. I haven't tried Dorkin, but I read that the Romans prefered it.

The Bresse chicken fill in faster and the roosters weigh 5 to 6 lbs. at 16 weeks where as the Barbezuiex rooster at 16 weeks are skinny probably around 3.50 lbs., but they keep growing for 14 months and get up to 10 lbs. The Barbezuiex chickens I ate were young 3.50lbs. cockerels. They start crowing before the Bresse and behave like wild birds. They scream and cry when I catch them. The Bresse are easier to handle.
The Dorking taste similar to White American Bresse. Hopefully, I will able to make cross CornishX x White American Bresse later this year. My CornishX is only 2.5 months old. I've eaten too many CornishX around 7-9 weeks and want to try some from this block 11-16 weeks to see how they taste for comparison.

The Dorking taste similar to White American Bresse. Hopefully, I will able to make cross CornishX x White American Bresse later this year. My CornishX is only 2.5 months old. I've eaten too many CornishX around 7-9 weeks and want to try some from this block 11-16 weeks to see how they taste for comparison.
I hatched around 10 Bresse crossed with either a black Australorp or Black Jersey Giant. I plan on processing the females at 5 months, and the males when they start to crow probably at 3 months, so they will be skinny. I hope they will be big enough to fit in my killing cone.

I need to free up some space, so I'll be stewing an older hen weekly. I found a really good skinless sausage to add to my chicken gumbo, its made by Farmer John. This new skinless sausage is made out of pork, beef and turkey and it doesn't have the rubbery outer skin like the Farmer John's polish sausage. Its one of the best tasting sausage I've ever ate. I found them in my local drug store, and it is strange that Safeway doesn't carry them.

I hatched around 10 Bresse crossed with either a black Australorp or Black Jersey Giant. I plan on processing the females at 5 months, and the males when they start to crow probably at 3 months, so they will be skinny. I hope they will be big enough to fit in my killing cone.

I need to free up some space, so I'll be stewing an older hen weekly. I found a really good skinless sausage to add to my chicken gumbo, its made by Farmer John. This new skinless sausage is made out of pork, beef and turkey and it doesn't have the rubbery outer skin like the Farmer John's polish sausage. Its one of the best tasting sausage I've ever ate. I found them in my local drug store, and it is strange that Safeway doesn't carry them.
Did you ever get to cross them to Cornish crosses ? How did they come out ?

Just piggy backing a bit, when were y'all able to tell sexes and if they had blue legs? Mine are about 6 weeks and one I can't tell if it's a slow cockerel or early pullet and all 3 have like a blue wash over yellowed feet
I have hatched 3 times, all 3 times I could see blueing in the legs by 3 weeks. By 6 weeks they were completely blue.

I bought four live Bresse chicks from a local farm in Hawaii called, Paradise Poultry. I ended up with 3 males and 1 female. The males had different tones of blue on their legs from light to dark and the female had yellow legs with blue splotches on its toes. I wrote to them asking them what they crossed their Bresse chicken with and they said they got their line from green fire farms and they didn't cross it. Then they went on to say they use the hens with yellow legs for eggs and they cull the males with yellow legs. This tells me they crossed it with a leg horn and won't admit to it.

I have breese chickens from two other farms and none of their off springs have yellow legs.. Also the hen with yellow legs is very small in comparison to the hens from the other farms. Furthermore the Bresse roosters from Paradise Poultry bite.
I have purchased a lot of bresse from Greenfire and only 1 hen had white/blue mixed legs. All the rest have actually looked great.

Back
Top Bottom